Royal Canin gastrointestinal fiber response dry cat food alternatives?

Yerocnella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has megacolon. For whatever reason I've had a hard time getting his food. Royal Canin gastrointestinal fiber response dry food is the only food he will eat that works well with his condition. And trust me I've tried for years to switch him to a wet diet. Raw, homemade, cheap and expensive canned, soups... You name it I've tried it. He will only eat dry kibble. Can't soak it. He actually became underweight while I was trying to find him a food so in the end I settled on this dry food. And it seriously works so well. But the price is sorta insane, it requires a vet approval each time I order it but my vet takes weeks sometimes months to approve it because they're overworked. I can't take him to a different vet at the moment. Anyway, I'm looking for an alternative. I would love if someone with a megacolon cat who eats dry food could help me here. Idk what about his current food works so well. Anyone? I feel super lost. Like every time I try and get help for my guy I get the same response to switch him to raw or wet. I can't have him starving. I won't do that again. It was awful and stressful for a everyone especially him. And the vet essentially doesn't have any ideas besides what I'm already doing. So please any ideas on dry food is extremely welcome.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This article (see link at the end of this post) lists what are supposed to be some of the alternatives to the RC food you are currently buying. You could look them up and compare them to the ingredients of his RC food.

Here is a list of the ingredients in the RC food he likes:
Brewers Rice, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn, Chicken Fat, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Gluten, Psyllium Seed Husk, Natural Flavors, Dried Chicory Root, Egg Product, Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil, Calcium Sulfate, Sodium Pyrophosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Fructooligosaccharides, Dl-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Vegetable Oil, Salt, Taurine, Hydrolyzed Yeast, Vitamins [Dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (Source Of Vitamin E), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source Of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement], L-Lysine, Trace Minerals [Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Copper Proteinate], Marigold Extract (Tagetes Erecta L.), Rosemary Extract, Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols And Citric Acid.

As far as the prescription, does it have to be a new prescription each time? Can you ask them to write it for as long as possible or ongoingly? I don't know where you buy the food, but if you would order through Chewy.com, they would be the one to follow up with the vet to get a new prescription - maybe the vet's office would respond faster to them than to you? Or perhaps even call Chewy and ask about the prescription renewal process to see what options they can suggest. (Chewy might be a bit cheaper too!)

Alternative to Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Cat Food - All Available Choices (ikittycat.com)