Royal Canin Calming Formula.

unfable

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 6 year old male cat for the past 6 months has randomly started over grooming and now has a bald belly and several other bald spots by his legs and back.

We assume maybe he developed allergies to something in the apartment and tried a Depo steroid shot which turned into an 800 dollar vet bill nightmare as he got very sick.

I'm trying to stay away from things like that and have read some great reviews about this food helping cats with pulling their fur out and over grooming. He also currently eats Purina UR for urinary issues, but I read the RC calming also helps in this department.

My main question is have any of you tried it? And did it help?

I'm stressing like crazy that my very calm and laid back cat has suddenly been acting strange for no apparent reason.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just bumping this up for you since you've asked a very specific question.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

unfable

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate it.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no personal experience with RC Calm, but (as with many of their rx foods) the urinary S/O benefits are incorporated, so no worries there :) I have used a number of RC rx foods over the years, and I've always found them to be very good at doing the job they're designed for (provided the cat or dog is willing to eat them, of course :rolleyes:). As with any rx food, it is something you need to discuss with your vet.

As far as calming/stress relief goes, there are other things you can try. A lot of people have had success with nutrition based calming treats or supplements. Composure is probably the best known, but there are many options out there. Feliway plug ins can be really helpful in combating stress related behaviour too. Don't underestimate the value of playtime either - it's a wonderful stress buster, and gives a positive outlet for that nervous energy.
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
You, Your Cat And Stress
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
How and why do cats play?
I hope this helps a bit, and that you find something that works for your boy very soon :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: