Roundworm

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went down stairs and noticed in one of the litter boxes that there was really soft stool almost looked a little like diarrhea. When I looked closer there were white worms all over it and in it. I looked up the signs of roundworm and smokie had all of them. The vomiting, being hungry all the time. I noticed that he was getting a little bony feeling. And when I looked at him from above he looked like his belly was bloated almost. I called my vet immediately, and he said that he's not open today but to try to go to the pet store and get a dewormer there. He said they can help. But if I don't see signs of improvement within 24 hours to bring him in and he can give him stronger stuff. I asked him why he didn't try and give him a dewormer when I first brought him in. He said that he wasn't showing any of the other signs and he was an indoor cat. He said that if he had the worms in his poop when I first brought him in or the second time, that it would have been easier to diagnose. He said that indoor cats rarely get it, but they can. He also said that it was a learning experience for him too. He's only experienced an indoor cat with roundworm once in his 20 years experience. Plus he wasn't showing any of the other signs before.

But he said to try the dewormer right away because he thinks that may have been his problem the whole time. So he doesn't want him sitting and waiting until Monday.

All though I have no idea how he got it. The vet said it's from dirt or ingesting a flea. We don't have fleas here. I have no signs of fleas. None of the cats are scratching. So I'm thinking that maybe we had water leakage in the basement and he licked that up or something. But all my cats are indoor only so I'm scratching my head.

I have him separated in a room so I can check out his poop. He also said that if they've been all using the same litter box I may want to give them all dewormers because I went through the litter box that had the poop in it and they were in the litter box too. I checked the other litter and it seemed clean. So the one that had all the worms in it got tossed out and we put fresh litter in the litter box.

After I eat breakfast I'm on my way to mounds for a liquid dewormer and will let all know what happens.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not recommend using an OTC dewormer and can't imagine why your vet is suggesting such a thing.

My advice is to wait until tomorrow and get a prescription dewormer from the vet and/or treat all of your cats with Revolution for a few months.

Revolution will control roundwroms and other parasites

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No vet that knows what they're doing would ever recommend an OTC dewormer. You need a new vet. OTC dewormers do NOT kill the parasite - they cause the cat to expel them live, so reinfestation is very likely. They're also more toxic and can be dangerous to the health of your cat.

Prescription meds are more expensive, but it is for a reason. They are effective without risking the life of your cat.

We had no success getting rid of round worm when treating just one cat. In the end, we had to treat them all. You also really ought to dump ALL the litter as soon as they've had their first treatment, and bleach the boxes. Scoop as frequently as you can for the next two months, and bleach the boxes weekly. If you can afford new litter each time, even better.

But even prescription medication only kills the adult round worm. So a second application of Revolution (or a second dose of whatever you'll be using - StrongidT or Panacur) MUST be given after about three weeks. Revolution is supposed to be used every four weeks, but discuss with a vet that knows what they're doing about applying it again after three weeks and a couple of days. That's what we do.

If any of your cats were rescue kitties or shelter kitties, it's very likely they've had round worm this entire time. If only treated for it once, the round worm is not gone. It definitely takes a second application or dose of whatever is being used, and sometimes it takes a third round to get all the eggs once they've developed into adult worms.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

If any of your cats were rescue kitties or shelter kitties, it's very likely they've had round worm this entire time.
Exactly. Someone brought it in. Probably because a fecal "looked" clean so they weren't treated.
Never trust a fecal when a cat has ever been outside or been around a lot of other cats and dogs. Deworm the cat while it's still being kept away from your other cats and you prevent the problem. In fact, just deworm any new cat period. It saves trouble.

Your cats have had worms for a while, a couple days more won't make much difference. Wait, get the right dewormer in the correct dosage. Safer and cheaper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wonder why then the ER vet I talked to said to get a dewormer from the store. I called my vet back again and he hasn't called me back

yet. After reading my post again I realized that I had jumbled things all together. The ER vet I called said to get the dewormer from the store. My vet just said to bring the poop in tomorrow. But I called an ER vet to get second opinion. When he said to try the regular dewormer from the store I thought I'd give it a try. I don't really like to sit on things like this. Anything really that regards to the cats health. I feel better knowing I can do something immediately to help them. We don't have an ER facility that is close that I could have taken him to, to get treated right away. So I called an ER facility that is about 45-50 minutes away. I won't be calling the er vet again.

For right now he's contained in a room. We figured out how he was getting out and blocked that route. So he's safely contained. But now I'm worried about the other cats.

I don't know how he would have gotten them. All the cats that I have are indoor cats. We did have a case of bad weather about a week ago which the basement was leaking a lot. We had standing water in some places. We got the cats to the driest room in the basement. But that would be the only way I could even think that he could get them. Is maybe we've had leaking before (that was unnoticed) and he's got a hold of the dirty water and drank it. Otherwise the only other thing I could even think of is we have a black water beetle that I see crawling in the cat litter from time to time. It's about an inch long. Big black thing. We also have Asian beetles, centipedes, and box-elder beetles. Otherwise I have no idea how he got them. I have not brought any new cats into the household at all. So I have no idea.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Exactly. Someone brought it in. Probably because a fecal "looked" clean so they weren't treated.
Never trust a fecal when a cat has ever been outside or been around a lot of other cats and dogs. Deworm the cat while it's still being kept away from your other cats and you prevent the problem. In fact, just deworm any new cat period. It saves trouble.

Your cats have had worms for a while, a couple days more won't make much difference. Wait, get the right dewormer in the correct dosage. Safer and cheaper.
Exactly. Even in the UK I wouldn't use OTC wormers except Drontal which used to be prescription only but was taken off prescription a few years ago. If you have more than one cat, worm them all at the same time.

Even indoor cats get worms. You can pick up a worm egg on your shoes and bring it into the house that way, the cat gets it on his paws or fur, washes himself, swallows the egg and so he gets worms and passes it on in exactly the same way.

Also how human threadworms (aka The Wrigglers) are passed among children and sometimes adults - just through contact. Someone with not very good hygiene has worms, touches something, say someone works in a cafe, the egg is transferred - usually from under the fingernails and so the whole process goes on.

Worms are very easy to deal with but far better to get the proper worm pills from the vet. It does work out a lot cheaper - and they work properly.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not the water. Look up how roundworm is spread before you make assumptions about it's life cycle.

He got it from coming in contact with infested poop of another animal, from dirt that had previously been pooped on (then licking his feet), or from eating an animal carrying it. That's the only modes for that type of roundworm.

There's no need to separate him. If he's pooped out adult worms they've already had time to make eggs and those eggs will have been in the litter that all of the cats used and on the floor around the litter boxes - anywhere fecal matter could have been tracked. One stool can contain something like ~100,000 eggs. Your other cats are infected.

Trust your regular vet and don't get worked up over this to the point of resorting to an OTC poison. I grew up with indoor outdoor cats that certainly had worms (only dewormed them every 3 months or so), none of them died from it and neither did I.
There's also plenty of people taking care of ferals that can't keep those cats dewormed 100% of the time - the cats manage fine.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Worms are so easy to deal with.

Must give a funny story about worms.

When my son was about 5 years old (don't ever let on to him I'm telling you this or I am dead meat), he came from the toilet all excited.

Ian: "Guess what Mummy."

Me: "What is it Ian and did you wash your hands?"

Ian: "Yes Mummy but guess what?" (now jumping up and down in excitement)

Me: "OK. Tell me".

Ian: "I've got worms in my bum!!!"

Trip to the pharmacy for threadworm medication.

A few days later, one tearful Ian.

Asking him what was wrong he replied between sobs

"I don't have the worms anymore".

I still chuckle at that even yet - and he's 23 years old now.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gross, but he survived it.
Was it threadworm (human roundworm)? Kids usually get it from running around barefoot, playing in or eating dirt.

I remember someone telling me I could get worms if I didn't wear my shoes outside when I was little. I was probably the only three year old that refused to go outside without shoes on.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Gross, but he survived it.
Was it threadworm (human roundworm)? Kids usually get it from running around barefoot, playing in or eating dirt.

I remember someone telling me I could get worms if I didn't wear my shoes outside when I was little. I was probably the only three year old that refused to go outside without shoes on.
Just common human threadworms (sometimes called The Wrigglers). It's usually passed on by eating something that's contaminated, usually food. Quite a lot of kids in his class at school had them and kids share sweets (candies) etc. Nothing to worry about and easily dealt with - although I SWEAR the cats were laughing at us...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't come from candy or even say, under cooked meat (that's tapeworms, flukes, and trichina - pig roundworm). More than likely the playground/area was contaminated. Sand boxes attract animals who like to poop in them. And yes, threadworms are roundworms, btw, which is why I added that. This type of roundworm has to go through feces, be pooped out and dropped to the ground to go into it's next life cycle and be spread - they're also free-living. During that stage the larvae can burrow through skin.

I was told about skin burrowing parasitic worms at age 3, hence why it made me paranoid. Who tells kids this sort of stuff? lol

...more information than readers probably ever wanted to know.
Yes, contaminated garden soil could get you..
But usually this is more of a problem in developing countries.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

It doesn't come from candy or even say, under cooked meat (that's tapeworms, flukes, and trichina - pig roundworm). More than likely the playground/area was contaminated. Sand boxes attract animals who like to poop in them. And yes, threadworms are roundworms, btw, which is why I added that. This type of roundworm has to go through feces, be pooped out and dropped to the ground to go into it's next life cycle and be spread - they're also free-living. During that stage the larvae can burrow through skin.

I was told about skin burrowing parasitic worms at age 3, hence why it made me paranoid. Who tells kids this sort of stuff? lol

...more information than readers probably ever wanted to know.
Yes, contaminated garden soil could get you..
But usually this is more of a problem in developing countries.
How human threadworms are passed on.

The females come out at night to lay their eggs around the anus which causes severe itching (the threadworm itch). The child (or adult) scratches the area, even when asleep, the eggs are tiny but sticky and get stuck under the fingernails. The child or adult then handles food and the worm egg gets transferred to the food which is then ingested by someone else and so they get passed on.

In the UK, that is probably the only human worm that's heard of and very common, particularly among kids.

Here is a link (albeit from New Zealand and not from the UK) which explains The Wrigglers very well.

http://www.psnz.org.nz/public/selfca...readworms.aspx

Anyway, I hope the little story about my son raised a giggle or two

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Python - You're talking about what we call pinworms - enterobius. I'm talking about what we call threadworms - strongyloides. Probably best to use proper names since common names often fail. Take robins, for example, we'd be talking about two very different birds.

Human pinworms are not as common over here, though animals (wild and domestic) can be a problem with strongyloides.

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did look up how roundworm is gotten. Though I've never had a problem before. But I did just recently move into the country about 2 years ago. So that could be it. I figure I'll deworm them twice a year anyway this way it prevents it. My vet said to put the poop in the refrigerator. So I have it in the basement refrigerator and will bring him anything else that smokie poops out as well.

I saw pictures of roundworm but they were not that long. These must have not been full adults yet then. They were probably about an inch long, white and wiggly. Very gross though. Ewww.

Sassy had a weird worm that she threw up probably 5 months after I got her. It was flat and very long. Probably about 4 or 5 inches long. When I brought it to the vet, she said it was something that she ate that gave it to her. They didn't give me any dewormer for her because it was from eating bad meat. And at that time we had an open garbage can so she could have gotten into it. After that we got one with a lid on it so they couldn't get into the garbage again.

Now one question, can cats pass this to humans? Do I have to worry about getting it from them? I wash my hands after I pet them now. And I've always done it after clean their litter boxes for sanitary reasons. Being in the child care field it's drilled into you so, I just naturally do that now lol

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sassy's your original host, then, since she threw up a worm - or maybe they've all had worms for a while and you didn't know. She should have been dewormed because worms do not go away on their own. She wouldn't have gotten it from meat in your garbage unless it was raw meat. Cooking kills the worm cysts and is why we do not get worms from eating meat - incidentally, it's also why most meats need to be cooked to a certain temperature or completely done before eating (pork, fresh water fish/crayfish).

I'm beginning to wonder about your vet... They seem far too lax about this.

As for you getting it. Don't go licking the floor around their litter boxes, their paws, or not washing your hands after handling any dirty litter.
I've been scooping litter boxes since I was 4, I've never caught anything.

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sassy I got in 2003 so she's had them since 2003? That's when the vet looked at the worm. I've also moved since then and changed vets. Since then she's shown no signs of worms. Neither have any of the other cats. When I saw the worms in the poop this morning was a first. I always clean their cat litter and have never seen any signs of worms at all.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You never know, honestly. It isn't until like today, when you encounter them first hand, that you know. That is unless you regularly do your own fecals at home, like some people do.

Either way, deworm everyone and clean. When they get their second dosing of dewormer do a complete litter change on every box and scrub the boxes thoroughly. Some people will use a cheap non-clumping clay litter during this to save money since they have to toss all of the litter.

Anyways, I hope you get this straightened out soon and safely.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like Strange_Wings says, worms don't go away on their own. If she threw up a worm, they were in her system. Healthy cats can live just fine with worms without anyone knowing it. There is absolutely no point in paying for a fecal float - cysts are not always shed even when there are worms present. You saw a worm - you've seen Sassy throw one up, even though it was years ago - she was never treated for them, thus they are in her system.

Just treat all your cats with Revolution now, and again in 3-4 weeks. If you want to be extra sure, treat them one more time after another month. Along with the information I already gave you about cleaning the litter boxes and scooping, that should do it.

As to your question about moving and changing vets.... how many fecal exams have been examined from how many of your cats? If it's not been frequent, it's entirely possible no one caught it. There is no visible sign unless a cat has a really bad infestation - and infrequent fecals may turn up nothing even when they are present. Fecal exams are not 100% for a lot of reasons.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Python - You're talking about what we call pinworms - enterobius. I'm talking about what we call threadworms - strongyloides. Probably best to use proper names since common names often fail. Take robins, for example, we'd be talking about two very different birds.

Human pinworms are not as common over here, though animals (wild and domestic) can be a problem with strongyloides.
ROFL. Robins here are those cute little birds on Christmas cards with the red breast.

Two English speaking countries and so many words have different meanings LOL.

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got back from the vets. It's not any type of roundworm, tape worm or hookworm. Actually the vet said that it was maggots. Somehow the fly layed eggs in the cat litter and when they hatched they found the cat poop. It would explain why they were in the cat litter too. When I brought the poop in, I checked in the bag and they were still alive. Even after being refrigerated. The vet did give me a dewomer just in case.

I clean the litter box like twice a day. So these eggs had to have been in the litter for a longer time.