Roundworm? Kitten With Bloody Diarrhea

anafeicht

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten a little over 2 months old who up until now has been fine aside from fleas since he was too small to get the medicine until now. Hes the black and white kitten in the photo. My boyfriend's mom found him with eyes so goopy he was blind about a month ago when he wandered up to her dog. He had a lice eggs that looked like a huge fungus in clumps on his back that i shaved off before we cleaned his eyes and gave him a bath. 20170915_160728.jpg He went to the vet the next day and got antibiotics and fluids and hes been a little terror ever since. Today my boyfriend text me while I was at work and said Kuro's butt was leaking poop a little and he was rubbing his butt across the floor. I had him put him in the bathroom until I got home but then he told me he's seeing blood in his poop, almost completely blood, bright red with these worms, definitely not tapeworms, but our vet is closed until Monday. Its not a whole lot of poop in general, about dime sized each time he goes, but its still scary. Hes acting normal and has been a normal kitten up until this. His belly is normal too, no bloating. I gave him some dewormer mixed in some goat milk a couple of hours ago. I found one on the floor that one of the cats threw up but I'm not sure which one, the kitten hasn't thrown up that we've seen, and took a picture. I'm wondering if there's anything else we can do while we wait to go to the vet or if this is a big enough emergency to drive to a 24hr clinic.

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like a roundworm to me, they look like spaghetti. What brand of de-wormer did you give them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anafeicht

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's called crazy cat, it says it's piperazine citrate syrup

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How did it go, did they poop out dead worms this morning?

anafeicht

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not a whole lot but a little, and his poops seem firm again. Do you think we should still see a vet or just keep up with giving them dewormer?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What were the directions on the de-wormer? Was it one dose, then another dose 2 or 3 weeks later? It took 3 days for my cats to poop out all the roundworms. Sure, you could get a fecal test done at the vet if you can. Does he have any Tapeworms? They look like little grains of rice on their fur or bedding. Are you using a monthly flea preventative? How are his eyes now, is he still blind?

anafeicht

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It says every 10 days, definitely no tapeworms, we use flea medicine every month, and he can see now he just had an upper respiratory infection that caused his eyes to swell and get so goopy he couldn't see until it cleared up

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, it sounds like you do a second dose in 10 to 14 days then to kill the worm eggs that hatch. Sometimes vets will give advice over the phone since you said you just went there a month ago. Good luck and let us know how it goes.