Rough Play

sidliz31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When Barney was a kitten I would let him attack my hands and arms. He would bite and bunny kick me. He was so small that it didn't bother me. He was so cute so I let him continue to do it. He is now 4 and still likes to play with me this way but he has more strength. He breaks skin at times, scratches and leaves bite marks on my hands and arms. I continue to let him do this because it makes him happy and he is so cute when he attacks me. When he is finally exhausted he cuddles up next to me and takes a nap. I know it's my fault for allowing him to continue this behavior but it really hurts. I want to make Barney happy and love spending time with him. What do you all think? Should I continue to let him rough play with me because he loves it or make him stop? I'm really torn!

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't let Oliver do that. He tries! But we immediately say NO! and pull away. It is cute, though, that's for sure. And as a kitten he's not strong enough to do any real damage, especially if I'm wearing a long sleeved shirt, but it still hurts and BF read that allowing it as a kitten leads to what you're dealing with... big, strong cats who do damage when being playful. 

That said, to answer your question, is there an alternative to allowing him to attack your arm? Something else, like a larger toy, that he could wrestle with? 

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had that problem with Peanut. We ended up getting him a kickaroo. Both my cats knew exactly what it was for when they saw it. If Peanut tried to attack something inappropriate (he also loved to shred my sons pants) I'd rub him with the kickaroo and he'd go after that instead. It's still cute without the pain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidliz31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had that problem with Peanut. We ended up getting him a kickaroo. Both my cats knew exactly what it was for when they saw it. If Peanut tried to attack something inappropriate (he also loved to shred my sons pants) I'd rub him with the kickaroo and he'd go after that instead. It's still cute without the pain.
Wasn't sure what a kickaroo was but after a google search I think I know what my kitties are getting for Christmas! Thank you sooooo much! 

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They have different sizes. Make sure to get a big one. I can't seem to add a picture right now but ours is about a foot long. Then they can bite and scratch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidliz31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have ordered two large kickaroos. They should be here in a few days. I'll let you know how it goes. Fingers Crossed!