Rough play or aggression

daisykayls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there
I have 3 female cats 2 I adopted together about a year and a half ago they are about 2 years old
And the other is a little tortie that I adopted in May she is approx 9 months old
They all get on brilliantly most of the time sleeping together, eating together we have a very peaceful loving kitty household but occasionally (usually early evening) the kitten am done of the older cats start to play but I'm increasingly worried it is more than play how can I tell?
It usually ends up with the older cat hissing the kitten away but the kitten usually ends up with some of the older cats fur (she is long haired) in her mouth
I don't know if I should be breaking this up or if they are just playing a bit rough but there's never any blood or any sign of injury
Hope someone can help
Thanks =]

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When the older cat hisses the kitten away is just saying to the youngster that she does not want to play anymore. The kitten is rough playing and it does involve some fur pulling. It looks like the older cats can manage the kitten so there's no need to worry. 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Seems like there's nothing to worry about, but keep an eye on them as much as you can just to be safe. Kittens are brats and it's very common for them to get scolded or put in their place by an adult. Funny thing is most of the time they're totally unfazed by it, and they go back to being a brat in a few moments.

durich

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens are juvenile delinquents on speed, and get pelted by older cats, i have often seen fur fly and the kitten running away.

Kind of like a clip arround the ear from older times, but in respect for younger cats they, after a quick paw wash return to play with the older cat tail.

Remember cats are hunters and need to tone their hunting and killing skills.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisykayls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah good I'm pleased there doesn't seem to be anything to worry about my girls all get on so well usually so this just lifts my only worry off my mind =] thank you
Ps I agree about kittens being brats my little Bella is a real handful but I wouldn't have her any other way!! Haha
Thanks for all your help xxx

ettina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, Lilly's definitely bratty (3 months old). She's been chasing Katrina and stalking her tail. Katrina has absolutely no tolerance for this behavior (she'd rather be an only cat) so she'll hiss and swat at Lilly to teach her a lesson. I usually let them sort it out themselves, but if Katrina seems particularly stressed out I'll grab Lilly to give her a break.