Rotating canned food

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Whew. Ok, I don't feel like I'm going overboard now. I've been ordering all different things like crazy!

Has anyone tried Felidae Pure Sea? It looks like a great combo also. Yeah, it's seafood, but I would only feed it once a week. Most of what I'm getting is chicken based.
I have not tried it, I stick to chicken, duck, rabbit and turkey.

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat loves Wild Calling. It's his favorite brand! It's carrageenan free too:) his favorite flavors are rabbit, turkey, and Buffalo. They even have an alligator flavor! We have yet to to try that one. They are all pates.

Another one that Ghibli loves (and it is decently priced) is PRIDE by instinct. It also has no carrageenan :) and most of the flavors are chunky or shreds. I believe it comes in turkey, duck, beef, rabbit, chicken, and salmon.

Other thank those I feed Weruva, occasional tikicat, Sheba, and Merrick grannies pot pie. I would say I feed about 60% raw, though.

For raw Ghibli gets rad cat chicken, turkey. And we switch between natures variety instinct (rabbit medallions and chicken medallions)

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
[quote/]
How often do people rotate the canned foods anyway? Every day? Every week?
[/quote]

I rotate every day. Not sure why it just turned out that way. Ghibli doesn't have a very sensitive stomach. If my cat had a sensitive stomach I would probably rotate every week!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed a crazy number of canned foods... The cats get tired of their canned foods (other than Nutro Natural Choice) unless there are a lot of them. I think we have about 15 kinds (I don't really even want to know the actual number!).

It really is hard to balance low phosphorous with other criteria, like rational prices. And low carbs. And all the other things we have to watch for because of whatever ailment. It's really not easy!

As for Felidae, I fed one of their foods to our previous cat, the one who had kidney and other issues. I think it was their Pure (then Canidae), which she liked quite a bit. But they have changed the recipe! It smelled different and wasn't as juicy when I got some to try on a the new cats. They would barely touch it.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed a crazy number of canned foods... The cats get tired of their canned foods (other than Nutro Natural Choice) unless there are a lot of them. I think we have about 15 kinds (I don't really even want to know the actual number!).

It really is hard to balance low phosphorous with other criteria, like rational prices. And low carbs. And all the other things we have to watch for because of whatever ailment. It's really not easy!

As for Felidae, I fed one of their foods to our previous cat, the one who had kidney and other issues. I think it was their Pure (then Canidae), which she liked quite a bit. But they have changed the recipe! It smelled different and wasn't as juicy when I got some to try on a the new cats. They would barely touch it.
Omg, you are not kidding about how hard it is. I keep thinking, "I can't wait for the kittens to grow up!" then I don't have to worry as much about their phosphorus needs, lol.

I came up with a list of 8 foods to add to my "community" rotation. Four of which I have now, or are awaiting their arrival. The other four are "wish list" items. Actually have some of the Science Diet but only bought six cans. So have that one italicized at the moment as well. My totals below are based on the fact that we split two 5.5oz cans amongst five cats, since it's technically their "treat".
FoodPhosphorus %Protein %Fat %Carbs %Calories / oz
Friskies Seafood Mix1.7953.0029.008.0030.73
Nutro Max Cat Adult Chicken and Lamb Formula1.2338.0029.0024.0033.64
Felidae Pure Sea1.0546.0039.0012.0027.09
Felidae Chicken and Rice Formula1.1642.0038.0015.0034.18
Hill's Science Diet Adult Savory Chicken Entrée0.7036.4027.7028.5031.85
Triumph Chicken and Liver0.9841.0038.0014.0039.09
Friskies Selects Turkey Dinner/Brown Rice/Greens0.7336.009.0033.0026.18
Hill's Science Diet Adult Homestyle Chicken Supper0.7040.2022.0029.3030.00

Daily average over 8 day period / cat1.0441.5828.9620.4869.51 cals
Yeah, I'm a bit obsessed with this I think, lol.

On a side note, while looking at the caloric aspects of it, I was looking at the dry food. My goodness, the one they are getting is so high in calories! I'm definitely switching, same brand, but it's almost 200 fewer calories / cup. My eyes bugged out when I saw that.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How often do people rotate the canned foods anyway? Every day? Every week?
I just feed different flavors/brands for each meal, but every day they eat some of the same foods. Sometimes when i re-order I order different flavors, or something. It just depends on what they're eating more of. 

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to establish a pattern with the feeding, but decided the cats don't care about patterns so why should I. Maybe some cats do, but mine don't.

I will be removing the Avoderm Sardine/Shrimp/Crab from the rotation once it's gone, as well as the Felidae Chicken and Rice most likely. With both, the cats almost always leave some behind, and quite a bit with the Avoderm. The Avoderm I'm a bit surprised about, I was sure they would like it, but even my big girl Maple, who is on a diet, wouldn't eat much of it last night.

lucymagilicutty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently I bought some Halo Impulse (Quail flavor, I belive) and surprise my cats ate it.  I added some hot tap water to make it a bit more soupy.  Other brands that I use are Wild Calling, Nature's Variety, Lotus pates (they didn't eat the Just Juicy), Bravo canned, Weruva, Soulistic, Earthborn Holistic (they loved it).  You name it, I've tried it.  Right now, I'm feeding mostly Weruva and rotating with Wild Calling and Bravo.  My little female will eat pretty much anything canned, while my male turns up his nose at pretty much all except Wellness Signature Select shredded and Friskies anything.  He did seem pretty interested in the Impulse although I'm sure my female cat probably finished it off for him.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'll be adding Weruva for my Maple. She and Sara get a mid-day canned feeding since Sara is on a CKD diet, and Maple's just plain on a diet. I need low-cal stuff and Weruva pretty much owns the low-cal stuff. It's expensive, but if it's a 5.5-6 oz can, Maple will only get a quarter of that a day. This is her "tide me over" meal because she got all dejected when she saw Sara getting fed. And I couldn't give her nearly enough of the kibble to match the calories in the canned.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'll be adding Weruva for my Maple. She and Sara get a mid-day canned feeding since Sara is on a CKD diet, and Maple's just plain on a diet. I need low-cal stuff and Weruva pretty much owns the low-cal stuff. It's expensive, but if it's a 5.5-6 oz can, Maple will only get a quarter of that a day. This is her "tide me over" meal because she got all dejected when she saw Sara getting fed. And I couldn't give her nearly enough of the kibble to match the calories in the canned.
Our cats love the Cats in the Kitchen foods, which are moderate in price, at least for Weruva! Lots of them have moderate phosphorus, too.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats love the Cats in the Kitchen foods, which are moderate in price, at least for Weruva! Lots of them have moderate phosphorus, too.
Yes! That is the one I've been looking at specific (Cats in the Kitchen). Phosphorus content is pretty good, but protein is really high. I'm ok with moderate protein for Sara, but 70+ is a bit higher than I'm comfortable with for her. More of a "don't want to rock the boat" thing. But for the others, definitely. Especially for Maple. I'd mainly be getting it for her for the low-cal aspect, quarter of a 6-oz can a day (her mid-day "tide me over" meal) and it will last for a long time! But, once in awhile can give it to them all as a treat (even Sara).

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Do your cats prefer cats in the chicken fricazee to Soulistic Good Kharma? I was wondering if I should try it!

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! That is the one I've been looking at specific (Cats in the Kitchen). Phosphorus content is pretty good, but protein is really high. I'm ok with moderate protein for Sara, but 70+ is a bit higher than I'm comfortable with for her. More of a "don't want to rock the boat" thing. But for the others, definitely. Especially for Maple. I'd mainly be getting it for her for the low-cal aspect, quarter of a 6-oz can a day (her mid-day "tide me over" meal) and it will last for a long time! But, once in awhile can give it to them all as a treat (even Sara).
It's good stuff! I know all kidney cats are different and there's a huge divide on the protein issue... but those foods were great for our previous cat, who had mild kidney and very bad IBD/lymphoma issues. Just the fact that she would eat them (especially the lamb one and Fowl Ball) was huge, plus she definitely had an issue with grains (the question of grains again!) and those foods are grain-free and low-carb with, for the most part, simple recipes. One of our local stores sometimes has nice sales on Weruva: if you have an indie store that sells it, it's worth asking if they ever discount. (I suspect Weruva's especially big where I live because they're a New England company.)
Do your cats prefer cats in the chicken fricazee to Soulistic Good Kharma? I was wondering if I should try it!
It's hard to say because I don't get Good Karma for them very often since the gravy always seems gloppy, plus it's very carby (15-18% or so dry matter, pouch-can). Beyond that, I think you get a lot more meat for your money with Cats in the Kitchen and the cats definitely lap it right up. If I'm going to do a Soulistic carb-splurge (mitigated some by draining some gravy), it's for one of the chicken and pumpkin foods--either canned or pouch--which the cats really love.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
If Sara had been getting 70+ the whole time, I'd probably be ok with it for the community food. But, she always got 40-50%, so that's more what I'm ok with for her.

However, since I started feeding the other four separately in the morning (while she eats her k/d), and then feeding Maple again in the afternoon (while Sara eats her k/d), this would be good for either the morning or Maple feedings. I'm learning more toward the Maple one though because of the low-cal. I need that more for her than for the youngin's. And I read that high protein is particularly good for cats trying to lose weight.

And it's interesting, looking at the Soulistic, so many of them are higher in carbs and lower in fat! The one I got, but haven't tried yet (it's on the rotation for next week), is Upstream Dream. Lower in calories, not too bad with the phosphorus, high in protein and low in carbs.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm learning more toward the Maple one though because of the low-cal. I need that more for her than for the youngin's. And I read that high protein is particularly good for cats trying to lose weight.
That's right, I forgot about your young cats! But this stuff's perfect food for adult cat weight loss (your Maple) or maintenance (our gluttons).
And it's interesting, looking at the Soulistic, so many of them are higher in carbs and lower in fat! The one I got, but haven't tried yet (it's on the rotation for next week), is Upstream Dream. Lower in calories, not too bad with the phosphorus, high in protein and low in carbs.
I think Upstream Dream might be one of their aspic-like foods; yes, those are very low-carb.

I should have mentioned before, when I answered @bonepicker, that our cats love (really love!) Soulistic's new chicken dinner food: it's a pate/shred combination, is a less firmly aspic-like than the other foods, and seems like a better value than the Good Karma and chicken/pumpkin foods. The new pate/shred foods are all low-carb and, hmm, the phosphorus and protein for the chicken look like they're within Sara's ranges. The calories vary. The only downside to that line is that most of the foods--other than the chicken dinner--have tuna pretty high on the ingredient lists.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise

That's right, I forgot about your young cats! But this stuff's perfect food for adult cat weight loss (your Maple) or maintenance (our gluttons).

I think Upstream Dream might be one of their aspic-like foods; yes, those are very low-carb.

I should have mentioned before, when I answered @bonepicker, that our cats love (really love!) Soulistic's new chicken dinner food: it's a pate/shred combination, is a less firmly aspic-like than the other foods, and seems like a better value than the Good Karma and chicken/pumpkin foods. The new pate/shred foods are all low-carb and, hmm, the phosphorus and protein for the chicken look like they're within Sara's ranges. The calories vary. The only downside to that line is that most of the foods--other than the chicken dinner--have tuna pretty high on the ingredient lists.
I've come to the conclusion with all the battles I have with food, tuna just can't be one of them, lol. So, bring on the tuna. I just have too many other things to consider. The "crazy cat lady" title would really become legit if I worried about the tuna, because I'd really go nuts!

I think we are breaking out the Upstream Dream tomorrow. Just checked the spreadsheet - yep, tomorrow. I busted out the Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken today. First time trying Weruva, and I must say I was impressed. I fed the kitties, cleaned out the litter boxes, and all the food was GONE by the time I got back. They never clean up their bowls that much in that fast a time. Very impressed indeed! And it looked like I  could have eaten this stuff, haha.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Halo impulse is a good one I feed the quail and rabbit and the Soulistic good Kharma and chicken dinner. And Merrick lid duck & chicken pates. All sold at Petco. Soulistic is Weruva sold only at Petcos.

Last edited:

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise

I should have mentioned before, when I answered @bonepicker
, that our cats love (really love!) Soulistic's new chicken dinner food: it's a pate/shred combination, is a less firmly aspic-like than the other foods, and seems like a better value than the Good Karma and chicken/pumpkin foods. The new pate/shred foods are all low-carb and, hmm, the phosphorus and protein for the chicken look like they're within Sara's ranges. The calories vary. The only downside to that line is that most of the foods--other than the chicken dinner--have tuna pretty high on the ingredient lists.
I picked up some Soulistic chicken dinner to try and halo impulse quail & rabbit, which they liked.