Rosie who just went blind seems to be getting worse

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our sweet 16 year old cat Rosie had a bad spell of dehydration 2 weeks ago (prior to that she was in excellent health), and then last week suddenly lost her vision overnight. The vet ruled out hypertension, a stroke, and a seizure and said her vision loss was likely because of (1) an injury-- she has arthritis and in her weakness from recovering from dehydration, she fell off a couch or table and hit her head, or (2) a brain tumor, although the fact she lost her vision in both eyes and hasn't had seizures made her unsure sure of that.

So we expected to have her take a bit to adjust to the sudden blindness. We brought her home a week ago and she was going to drink from the water fountain, and even asking for food in the kitchen. She gets down using the pet stairs we got her and takes herself to the box. Her appetite has always been amazing-- she eats whatever food we put in front of her. We're giving her fluids to prevent dehydration.

But yesterday she seemed extra painful and uncomfortable when sleeping. She didn't take herself to use the box or drink water, so we gave her extra water in her food, fluids, and took her to the box (where she peed). She's had no accidents. This morning she was up just walking around the apartment. But she seems not like herself at all. We can't tell if this is the period of depression newly blind cats go through, or if it's a brain tumor, if it's getting worse.

Any experiences with either?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about Rosie! I am assuming Rosie is getting fluid therapy under your vet's care -- since her bout of dehydration was a few weeks ago, has the vet reevaluated her blood work and the giving-of-fluids since that time (and since her sudden blindness)? Sometimes kitties, esp. older ones, can have undiagnosed issues, specifically heart problems. If I were you, I'd check with my vet about this possibility, maybe bring her in again for some testing. Ask if you should continue the fluids in the meantime...
:redheartpump:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she taking any pain medicine for the arthritis? not necessarily the big things like metcap and cortisone, which have side effects, but something
like cosuquin or dasuquin? I've noticed over the years that rain, particularly when there is a hurricane or other sharp change in pressure can make the arthritis worse and lead to cats, and dogs, hiding most of the day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about Rosie! I am assuming Rosie is getting fluid therapy under your vet's care -- since her bout of dehydration was a few weeks ago, has the vet reevaluated her blood work and the giving-of-fluids since that time (and since her sudden blindness)? Sometimes kitties, esp. older ones, can have undiagnosed issues, specifically heart problems. If I were you, I'd check with my vet about this possibility, maybe bring her in again for some testing. Ask if you should continue the fluids in the meantime...
:redheartpump:
We are giving her subq fluids daily. And her blood work has been good, other than some very beginning stages of CKD. She was also evaluated for heart problems (hypertension, etc.) and her heart is strong. So we're continuing fluids and they do definitely help!

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is she taking any pain medicine for the arthritis? not necessarily the big things like metcap and cortisone, which have side effects, but something
like cosuquin or dasuquin? I've noticed over the years that rain, particularly when there is a hurricane or other sharp change in pressure can make the arthritis worse and lead to cats, and dogs, hiding most of the day.
Yeah, I just spoke with the vet and she's wondering if this isn't partly a reaction to our crappy weather (rain and storms all day), whereas earlier in the week when it was cooler and drier, she was feeling better.

She's on a steroid pill which has helped her arthritis pain in the past (she's been dealing with it for a few years). We've been giving her cosequin for years for it. And the vet told us to add some gabapentin today to see if it helps her rest more comfortably.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear about Rosie’s troubles. I have a cat who is blind (surgery when she was a kitten). There is an adjustment period for Rosie but if she’s lived in your home 16 years she knows where things are. In my opinion there needs to be more answers regarding what did cause this. If it is something that is causing her pain beyond the loss of sight you need more information to know how best to help Rosie.

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear about Rosie’s troubles. I have a cat who is blind (surgery when she was a kitten). There is an adjustment period for Rosie but if she’s lived in your home 16 years she knows where things are. In my opinion there needs to be more answers regarding what did cause this. If it is something that is causing her pain beyond the loss of sight you need more information to know how best to help Rosie.
She does know her way around and our house really well, and our house is already set up for a blind cat because we have a rescue who lost her sight from getting hit by a car before we adopted her.

She's resting now, but after taking the pain meds she was pretty restless-- walking around aimlessly. The vet said it can take a bit for them to adjust to the gabapentin.

We're going to see how she is Monday. We could do a brain scan to see if it is a tumor, but we hate taking her on a long car trip for an MRI. The only potential treatment for that is steroids anyway so hopefully what we're doing will help. If we don't see any improvement, we won't allow her to suffer. It'll just be so hard to let her go. 😭

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We put Rosie to sleep this morning. Yesterday, she deteriorated quickly. She started walking around aimlessly ALL night, pressing her head against corners (a brain tumor symptom). She stopped eating and drinking. And struggled horribly when gave her fluids. I woke up and tried to feed her this morning and she wouldn't eat, vomited for the first time, and then collapsed. We were able to text with our vet tech and vet, and then call Lap of Love to come and put her to sleep. They were here within hours. We didn't want her to suffer one minute longer than she needed to.

She was a festy, wonderful cat and we'll miss her terribly. She was a "launcher" and would stare right at us and while pushing things off a surface. She broke many things over the years but whenever she did we always said we'd rather have things than here.

Thanks for the support everyone!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
We put Rosie to sleep this morning. Yesterday, she deteriorated quickly. She started walking around aimlessly ALL night, pressing her head against corners (a brain tumor symptom). She stopped eating and drinking. And struggled horribly when gave her fluids. I woke up and tried to feed her this morning and she wouldn't eat, vomited for the first time, and then collapsed. We were able to text with our vet tech and vet, and then call Lap of Love to come and put her to sleep. They were here within hours. We didn't want her to suffer one minute longer than she needed to.

She was a festy, wonderful cat and we'll miss her terribly. She was a "launcher" and would stare right at us and while pushing things off a surface. She broke many things over the years but whenever she did we always said we'd rather have things than here.

Thanks for the support everyone!

I am so very sorry to hear about Rosie's passing. You were with her every step of the way, especially in the end when she needed you the most. Even crossing the bridge is much easier when you have a friend with you. You will see her again.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry that it came to this. You absolutely did what was right for her, no matter how hard it was for you. It is commendable that you were able to arrange for her passing to be at home, and peaceful.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss and the pain, but grateful that you were there for her and understood what was happening to limit her pain. Enter-woven hearts are forever.