Rosie has early stage kidney disease. :-(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feeling hopeful. I went to the vet and yes, they do carry Royal Canin, both pate style and chunks and gravy so I got both. He also gave me samples of Hills chunks and gravy k/d which comes in both chicken and tuna. He advised me that if mixing 25% of the new food with the old doesn't work then start with 10% and take it slow. She is in the very early stages of kidney disease and doesn't have elevated phosphorus levels yet. She still looks and acts healthy. The vet said if she continues to be fussy we'll try an appetite stimulant. He doesn't recommend phosphate binders at this early stage of her condition. He wants me to call him in a week and let him know how it's going. We'll be checking her blood every 3 months. He's a great vet and I'm confident he knows what he's doing. I'm glad we caught kidney disease in its early stages for Rosie. Sadly it wasn't caught early for Spotty. I've been influenced by people who only take their cats to the vet when they're sick. The problem with that is that cats are masters at hiding their pain and we often don't know if they have a serious medical condition until it's too late and I learned this the hard way by losing Spotty. I thought he lost weight because he was aging. How could I have been so stupid! This is why cats need an annual veterinary exam. Please pass this story along so others won't make the same mistakes I did.

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't beat yourself up about this with your first kitty!! We all learn from mistakes and it sucks, but advancement in medicine for animals has come a long way.  My kitties LOVED that chunks in gravy----and I know with this and fluids, your kitty will be feeling much better :) 

tamu708

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wellness has some good canned foods that are lower in phosphorus.  One that was a big hit with my rainbow baby Sandra was the Wellness Core Beef, Venison and Lamb. She was a very picky cat.  Wellness also has other canned foods that are good options for cats with kidney disease.  You should look on this list:  

http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm

Hugs to your Rosie.  

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Rosie is at least eating the chunks in gravy. I'll try the gel one tomorrow. I read on the back of both cans that it's for intermittent or supplemental feeding only. Does this mean it's not a balanced diet? Also how do you know how much is enough to feed? I'm not so sure the chunks in gravy one has enough calories.

Last edited:

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you ever looked into this food?

Do you know what the phosphorus levels in this food are? I read that in stage 1, early stages cats should still be eating regular cat food because they need the protein but apparently my vet wants me getting Rosie used to prescription food. He said to mix the new with the old. She eats the prescription Royal Canin chunks in gravy without me having to mix it. She is currently being fed a combination of the prescription Royal Canin chunks in gravy cans and regular cat food. I did buy one pouch of the Natural Balance to try out since she can still have it.