Roommates stole my friends' cats

dogtanian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by bab-ush-niik

Just curious, what microchip company are you using?

I had to write a letter to the company. They then notified the registered owners and gave them 4 weeks to respond.
it was one called petlog. i spoke to them and they said that all that was needed was for the new owner to send the previous owner's documents to them. i assume they don't think that the docs might be stolen.....

I think the mental health issue is a bit of a smokescreen to be honest, it sounds as if these people were out to hurt you rather than through any concern about your ability to care for the cats

Oh and have you had your locks changed? I would get that done right away if I were you!
i have changed the locks, yes. and i agree about the smokescreen. if that really was the concern, there are lots of official channels to go through to make sure the cats are ok: talking to me as the owner, talking to the vet, to the battersea dogs home, to the RSPCA etc etc. i think they wrote the letter about the mental health as an afterhtought.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dogtanian

i have changed the locks, yes. and i agree about the smokescreen. if that really was the concern, there are lots of official channels to go through to make sure the cats are ok: talking to me as the owner, talking to the vet, to the battersea dogs home, to the RSPCA etc etc. i think they wrote the letter about the mental health as an afterhtought.
Glad to hear the locks have been changed.

The thing is that even if someone reported you to the RSPCA they would come out to do a home visit, and unless there were signs of abuse or severe neglect (starving in other words!) the cats would not be taken away from you. Even if the litterbox was overflowing they would give you advice about how often to clean it and what litter to use, and would do a follow-up visit or two to check that was happening ok. They wouldn't remove your cats if they have good basic care, and unless there is abuse or starvation they give you plenty of chance to put it right. And that's even if they find a problem, I am sure they would just come round to you and wonder what all the fuss was about

Have the police done anything yet? You may have to pester them, it may not register very high on their list of priorities unless you make a fuss.

dogtanian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i've not heard from the cops yet - i thought i'd give them a week, which is til tomorrow, and then ring.

i agree about the RSPCA - they claimed to have had advice from battersea but i spoke to battersea and they said they'd never advise just taking cats.