Roommate's Cat Agression

jreiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone knows my babies by now (or I think most of you do lol), but this is about my roommates cat. Rogue, she is five years, was my foster baby until she was three. She was my little cuddle buddy. Well I had to recently move in with my current friend, and I did the usual introduction, but I did it for nearly nearly four months, because Rogue has always been cranky with outside animals. She was a little cranky with the scent exchange, but nothing extreme. It was when it came to the full introduction that it went wrong.

I fully introduced them beginning in November, for a few minutes at a time. Rogue had a cow. She screamed and batted at them. She did this every time. She even started standing my the door and charging in every time the door opened to attack them. I have feliway, softchews dont work either. I let the kitten out when she's sleeping in my roommates room or the bathroom (the kitten don't usually stray far from me, even with the door open), but I can't keep them locked in my room. I'm hoping to move in the summer when I get more hours, but I don't want to stress the cats out even more. Rogue's last vet appointment showed her completely healthy (of not a little overweight). 

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It can take cats months and months to acclimate to one another.  Did you follow the guidelines in the cat to cat introductions found here http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats ?  I found out the hard way that you cannot rush the steps or it will back fire.  I had to do reintroductions.  It helped greatly, but the boys still need to be supervised.  Feliway plug ins help, but you need to make sure you have enough.  You will need one in each room.  I have several in my home.  You can also try the spray.

I have had alot of good luck with Composure feline treats or Composure liquid max   With the treats I found you needed to give a full grown adult cat at least 3 treats.  It would take 45-60 minutes to work and last about 4-6 hours.  With the liquid I would give 1/2 t. 2x a day mixed in the wet food.  It worked in about 20 minutes and lasted about 8 hours.  The liquid is more expensive, but it does work better.  It does not drug the cat at all, but helps to take the edge off.  It is especially useful when you are going through introductions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jreiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

It can take cats months and months to acclimate to one another.  Did you follow the guidelines in the cat to cat introductions found here http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats ?  I found out the hard way that you cannot rush the steps or it will back fire.  I had to do reintroductions.  It helped greatly, but the boys still need to be supervised.  Feliway plug ins help, but you need to make sure you have enough.  You will need one in each room.  I have several in my home.  You can also try the spray.

I have had alot of good luck with Composure feline treats or Composure liquid max   With the treats I found you needed to give a full grown adult cat at least 3 treats.  It would take 45-60 minutes to work and last about 4-6 hours.  With the liquid I would give 1/2 t. 2x a day mixed in the wet food.  It worked in about 20 minutes and lasted about 8 hours.  The liquid is more expensive, but it does work better.  It does not drug the cat at all, but helps to take the edge off.  It is especially useful when you are going through introductions.
Yes, I have followed through with the introductions, as this is not my first (only my most frustrating). It has been nearly 6 months since moving in, and she is getting worse by the day.

I have tried both of the chews and liquids, but she is already a picky eater and will not eat the choose or the food-mix.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has the cat been to a vet to be checked for any health concerns?  Also the vet may be able to suggest medication such as Prozac to help the situation.