roomate gets upset and yells when my cat slaps hers

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok my roomates cat who is spitfire use to rush and attack my cat well tables turned now my cat will slap her cat and hiss at her when she walks by sometimes

like my cat will sit on the stairs her cat will walk past and my cat will hiss and chase her up the stairs no harm or anything no blood shed our cats are female torties just have a lot of fiesty tempermental attitude

my roomate freaks tho and yells at my cat when she does i tell her my cat is just showing dominance but my roomate says that her cat is weak and if we let my cat assert herself like this then her cat will always be afraid ro roam the house? what do u guys think???

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No blood, no fur flying, claws in, no one imitating Halloween cats? While I'd keep an eye on them and be ready to divert them with a toy or something if they really start stalking one another, I'd let them work it out themselves. My girl used to chase my boy off the bed when I first got him - now they go through periods of chasing each other around - sometimes it's literally like a cartoon - Dharma chases Dante down the hallway, and on the way back, roles are reversed.

Ask your room mate not to yell (although I know it's natural enough, she's afraid for her kitty) - it's probably just going to stress out both cats, and the two of you as well. Believe me, I know it's hard when you're not sure how serious the cats are 'fighting', but yelling won't really stop it. With mine, anytime they were within five feet of each other without hissing, I'd give them a treat and tell them how wonderful they were. They're usually pretty friendly now, but once in a while we get a hissy chase.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds more like playing to me. Look up some cats wrestling videos on youtube and show them to your room mate so she can get a better perspective on what's normal for two cats interacting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i agree its playing but my roomate things its going to hurt her cats feelings and make her stay in her room

shes also scared that her cat will get hurt and is a very weak fragile little cat (ITS NOT at all because i have seen her cat kick ass and chase my cats around the house when shes mad)

My roomate is just overprotective and thinks its wrong to let them do that i just gota some how convince her its how they are establishing who is boss and every cat house hold has it

i mean these cats all TOUCH noses there is no danger but my roomate is just overly protective i guess u can all understand that i wish i could make her see it through our eyes she humanies animals way to much and doesnt realize my cat hissing swatting or pushing her cat off a stool is how they establish peace in a house with a leader and that in turn PREVENTS REAL FIGHTS!

the house is at peace we have all tortie females so they like to slap each other around sometimes

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to tell her that her behavior can potentially make things worse. No I don't mean the yelling, the cats will get used to that eventually and ignore her... But if she keeps getting worked up like that, the cats will pick up on her body language and mood, it could make them behave more negatively.

If it gets rough, tell the cats to knock it off or separate them. Otherwise save your breath and ignore them.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

i agree its playing but my roomate things its going to hurt her cats feelings and make her stay in her room

shes also scared that her cat will get hurt and is a very weak fragile little cat (ITS NOT at all because i have seen her cat kick ass and chase my cats around the house when shes mad)

My roomate is just overprotective and thinks its wrong to let them do that i just gota some how convince her its how they are establishing who is boss and every cat house hold has it

i mean these cats all TOUCH noses there is no danger but my roomate is just overly protective i guess u can all understand that i wish i could make her see it through our eyes she humanies animals way to much and doesnt realize my cat hissing swatting or pushing her cat off a stool is how they establish peace in a house with a leader and that in turn PREVENTS REAL FIGHTS!

the house is at peace we have all tortie females so they like to slap each other around sometimes
like I said..get her to watch some you tube videos of cats and kittens playing. Get a book on integrating cats for her to read about what is normal behavior. Educate her.