Roll on Friday...

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Last night we were lying in bed, I was fast asleep, when we heard a bang. I wasn't going to get up because I thought they had just done the usual trick of knocking things off the shelf in the lounge. But Mark said it came from the bathroom so he shot out of bed and all I heard was' OH MY GOD' so I ran in...

We have VERY high ceilings and the systern to our toilet is stored up by the ceiling in a bit which is set back from the rest of the wall. There is usually a wooden board closing this area off but we had a leak in the roof and took this off to put buckets up there and just hadn't put it back yet. This bit leads out to the inside of the roof and the rest of the building, you can actually see daylight through a little vent in there and apart from that its pretty disgusting. (we live on the top floor of an enormous building with shops, flat, restaurants etc).

I ran into the bathroom and see Mark with his toes perched on the wooden rail which runs around the middle of the walls, holding onto Nismo's tail. I nearly died of fright, he says 'Help me!' So I had to put my hands under his feet to support him (not easy when you are as short as me) while he literally dragged her out with one hand. I didn't realise how strong cats can be if they don't want to budge. If she hadn't knocked the deodorant can off the shelf when she launched herself up there (still dont really understand how she managed it), we wouldnt have heard her and would have no idea how she just vanished. This has just upset me so bad. Mark nailed the wood back up there straight away, but I lay awake the whole night thinking, where else could she potentially get out?
Is this because she wants to breed just now or does she just not like us? I just can't stop thinking about, what if we hadn't been in?!? She didn't come to bed the whole night and would barely let me touch her this morning, although I did get a cuddle before I left for work.
Thank goodness she is getting spayed on Friday. I just want to go home and cuddle her, I can't bare the thought of what might have happened if we had ignored the noise like we normally do

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Lauren!

What a horrible scare for you all!
I think it is more the case that she's all heated up and is finding things a lot more interesting than usual! I really don't think that she doesn't like you!

Is your flat new? Do you own it? I just wonder, as you should be able to get maintenance to come out and patch up any gaps/hole/escape routes!!

I hope Friday comes quickly for you and Nismo calms down after her spay!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is she like!!!!
Their really like kids aren't they getting into everything.

I think thats all it is Lauren, curiosity, but i would really go through the flat like a fine tooth comb looking for other possible places that the little monkey could investigate.

Last night has probably given Nismo a fright just as much as you and Mark but she'll come round in the end don't worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Oh Lauren!

What a horrible scare for you all!
I think it is more the case that she's all heated up and is finding things a lot more interesting than usual! I really don't think that she doesn't like you!

Is your flat new? Do you own it? I just wonder, as you should be able to get maintenance to come out and patch up any gaps/hole/escape routes!!

I hope Friday comes quickly for you and Nismo calms down after her spay!
Yeah, I think so because she's just into everything. I honestly haven't had a night off for abot a week she's just been mad.
I know she loves us I'm just being daft, everything goes through your mind. This is her second escape attempt in a few weeks.
The building is very old. We do own it and the roof is now fixed we just hadn't put the board back up. Its so high though and I have no idea how she even noticed it from the bathroom floor! She must have got there from the sink but goodness knows how.

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

What is she like!!!!
Their really like kids aren't they getting into everything.

I think thats all it is Lauren, curiosity, but i would really go through the flat like a fine tooth comb looking for other possible places that the little monkey could investigate.

Last night has probably given Nismo a fright just as much as you and Mark but she'll come round in the end don't worry.
I don't think there is anywhere else she could get. Sleeves was never like this so I suppose we were just lucky with him. We have really high doorways and doors and her latest trick is climbing onto the fish tank and then onto the bedroom door, she then can't get down so we have to get her which means getting ourselves scratched to pieces because she doesn't feel safe being lifted from such a height.
I'm just so tired. I don't want her to hurt herself, Sleeves was so upset at the fuss last night too

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lauren, I know it's scary when they're on the top of the door and pretending they can't get down! But seriously, they can jump from higher heights than that!! Even when Molly was teeny, she would do that!

I'm sure once she's spayed, she'll settle down nicely! Not that she won't still enjoy the doors and things!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You contacted me last night on msn and that scared me..
But didn you say that she has been rolling around and howling? Or was i just reading it wrong from being sleepy??
I thought you said she was in heat?

Doesnt sound like it from the way you describe it in this post then you can go ahead and get her spayed on friday

When we first got kaylee she was about 3 months old she would howl at the front door when i left to go and do the laundry, each time we opened the front door she used to want to escape and run all the way to the top floor

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

You contacted me last night on msn and that scared me..
But didn you say that she has been rolling around and howling? Or was i just reading it wrong from being sleepy??
I thought you said she was in heat?

Doesnt sound like it from the way you describe it in this post then you can go ahead and get her spayed on friday

When we first got kaylee she was about 3 months old she would howl at the front door when i left to go and do the laundry, each time we opened the front door she used to want to escape and run all the way to the top floor
She is in heat Fran, this post was just about her escaping. Check my thread in health and nutrition.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Lauren, I'm just catching up on this thread. What a scary experience! I imagine Nismo just got curious. Spaying will calm her a bit, but you may have a bit of a wait until she really settles down. Jamie was horrid when he was younger, and my vet kept telling me he'd calm down when he was about 18 months. It took longer than that, but he has improved. Your story reminds me of the time Jamie followed me up into the attic, which is rather large. He had a ball looking at everything, and all of a sudden disappeared. He'd found a loose/broken floor board in a dark corner, and decided to explore! It was hours before he came out again.

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Lauren, I'm just catching up on this thread. What a scary experience! I imagine Nismo just got curious. Spaying will calm her a bit, but you may have a bit of a wait until she really settles down. Jamie was horrid when he was younger, and my vet kept telling me he'd calm down when he was about 18 months. It took longer than that, but he has improved. Your story reminds me of the time Jamie followed me up into the attic, which is rather large. He had a ball looking at everything, and all of a sudden disappeared. He'd found a loose/broken floor board in a dark corner, and decided to explore! It was hours before he came out again.
Oh my word that must have been so scary! Yes recently she's just gotten so much more curious. Jumping on things she never has before, it's brought a whole new meaning to 'cat proofing' the house because we thought we'd done a good job with Sleeves but he wasn't half as crazy as her. I really do like it though, I just get worried she will hurt herself because she has no concept of danger.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think a lot of it is hormones, but as we learned with the cabinet incident earlier, little Nismo is very curious. Some guardian angel is looking out for the kitten. Maybe doing a survey of the place with this new knowledge will help calm you down.

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I think a lot of it is hormones, but as we learned with the cabinet incident earlier, little Nismo is very curious. Some guardian angel is looking out for the kitten. Maybe doing a survey of the place with this new knowledge will help calm you down.
Oh we have Jana believe me. I have looked at everything through the eyes of a Nismo