Rodent Ulcer and prednisone

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Has anyone else experienced this???? I mean it's so quick.... he was at the vet yesterday, the physical signs were all gone, he had a full pill last night, then half a pill 5hrs ago and some slight swelling of the lip now.
Sometimes there can be an underlying infection within the swollen areas. Did the vet give you any antibiotics to take with the pred? Pinky's rodent ulcer sometimes needs antibiotics.

2 thoughts:
Pred can weaken the immune system
I've been told by at least 1 vet that pred counteracts the effectiveness of antibiotics (probably because of previous statement), so there are vets that won't prescribe both pred and an antibiotic at the same time unless it is truly warranted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Sometimes there can be an underlying infection within the swollen areas. Did the vet give you any antibiotics to take with the pred? Pinky's rodent ulcer sometimes needs antibiotics.

2 thoughts:
Pred can weaken the immune system
I've been told by at least 1 vet that pred counteracts the effectiveness of antibiotics (probably because of previous statement), so there are vets that won't prescribe both pred and an antibiotic at the same time unless it is truly warranted.
No antibiotics here.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

No antibiotics here.

He may not need them. Pinky is sometimes put on pred alone, but sometimes flares to the point that it looks like there is a bacterial infection in it. There is a fine line between the 2 from its appearance.

I know you don't want to put Kizzy thru another trip to the vet. Just call them tomorrow.

And for Kizzy!

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This really stinks. I wonder if because Kizzy has been so stressed by the goings on in the house and then another vet visit, if it is causing a flair even though he still hasn't tapered off the pred.

This type of thing is so frustrating, especially in kitties that have chronic immune problems anyway. Maybe the vet will suggest a longer slower taper for him.

As I head off to bed I am going to send lots of thoughts that you wake up in the morning and Kizzy's lip is back down to normal.

daisy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Has anyone else experienced this???? I mean it's so quick.... he was at the vet yesterday, the physical signs were all gone, he had a full pill last night, then half a pill 5hrs ago and some slight swelling of the lip now.
Harley has been struggling with eosinophilic granuloma complex for almost a year now. At first, he had several Depo-Medrol injections, but we're managing him now on prednisone.

His lip ulcers could change drastically from one day to the next (and I could even see changes hourly sometimes!).

We are down to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet every other day (from 1/2 tab 2x a day). As we taper, he will sometimes get ulcers and we go back up for a couple of weeks. He still has linear granulomas on both thighs, but no more ulcers or blisters on his mouth.

We are also using Transfer Factor sprinkled on his food in the evening and a fatty acid supplement (3V Skin Caps) on his food in the mornings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guess I never concluded this post.

Kizzy's lip healed fine....once he was off the prednisone, he hasn't needed it since