Rocky VII - Feral vs Housecat

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted a Tortie (Minja) in July. She had some behavior issues (screamed all day and was a food monger), and no one who adopted her could handle her, so she kept bouncing between homes and adoption agencies. Some people have no patience. She no longer screams all day, and will sit quietly and wait for her meals. Just needed time, love and patience. In mid September, I adopted a Sable Burmese, Hershey Rose. Hershey Rose (HR) was a feral who had been trapped by HSUS and fostered 2 months before coming home with me. She was incredibly shy and loved to bite. I kept her in a separate room as she had diarrhea that would not stop, and I was afraid of Minja getting something bad. 7 weeks of vet visits and advice and still no improvement. Then I found this site. Someone suggested I stop feeding her store bought canned food and kibble, and feed her raw. I was hesitant, but desperate. So I followed their advice, and 24 hours later she made a perfect poop! After several days of no more diarrhea, I finally opened her door so she could see Minja. Before this, Minja would put her long legs under the door and HR would smell them. At this point, everything was fine. Then Minja thought it would be fun to stand outside of HR''s room and hiss. Soon she was chasing HR around the house, trying to keep her confined to the one room. For a while, I kept Minja locked in the bedroom with me at night, and allowed HR to explore the house in peace during the night. The day before last, she sat on the right arm of the couch, Minja lounged on the left one. No problems.  Last night HR came out into the living room. Minja was sitting on my lap. She started growling at HR, but I kept her in my lap, telling her "No" when she hissed or growled. That night she slept in my bedroom again. There were no problems this morning, both cats ignored each other. I had to go to several stores, and when I got back I got one big surprise. Up to this point, everytime Minja chased or hissed at HR, HR would retreat to her room and stay there. But not today. I came home, bags of groceries in my arms, to see Minja hiss and swat at HR. Instead of running for the shelter of her room, HR hissed and swatted back. Three hissy/swatty fights errupted while I was unpacking the food. HR seems to have gotten tired of being pushed around. So far things have not errupted to the point that anyone is actually getting hurt. Minja is 3, HR just turned 1, they are they same size and weight. Minja is an instigator, playful, tame, can be petted and played with. HR is now coming out of her shell, cannot be petted (not if I value my fingers) or handled, but constantly rubs against my legs, and "shows off" her belly and ability to roll around in front of me. I think she wants human contact but is afraid of being touched. Anyway, back to my question - do you think it is safe for me to leave the house with both cats not confined, or should I keep one of them (rotate turns maybe) confined when I am gone? Does anyone have any idea how far these fights will go? Are they just establishing pecking order or should I really be concerned about serious injuries?

Lei Ann

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Can someone please move Rocky VII - Feral vs Housecat to the behavior section for me. Sorry, was reading raw feeding when I posted this.

Lei Ann

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there's just hissing and swatting right now, I think they're doing fine! It takes a while for 2 grown cats to get used to each other. Try giving treats to them (toss them to HR so you don't lose a finger ;)) when they're around each other and being calm, and try not to scold for hissing/growling, as she might associate the other cat with being scolded.

I probably wouldn't leave them alone together at this point, but I would have them out whenever you're home.