Robin's Nest

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
While mowing the lawn yesterday my husband found a blue egg on the ground near a bush. I'm pretty sure it's a robin's egg. My neighbor and her darling daughter came over to quietly check it out. We thought the nest must be nearby but didn't see it in a tree. Sure enough it was set back in one of the evergreen bushes and the mother was nestled on top. We immediately walked away because we didn't want to upset her. When I left the house this morning I didn't think the egg would still be on the ground but it was as well as the mother bird on her nest. I hope the eggs hatch and are able to survive in the nest since the bush is only 4-5 ft. tall. :crossfingers: Since we have raccoons, opossums and the occasional wildlife I'm worried a predator will get to the nest. Is there anything I can do since obviously I don't want to disturb the mother or the nest?

IMG_2341.jpeg

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert, so definitely listen to what others might say, but I would (with a gloved hand) try to put the egg back. Maybe keep an eye on the next, and when/if mama leaves to drink some water slip it back in. Best of luck!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We have a robin nesting on the dog runs. A week or so ago, I found an egg had fallen. I did pick it up and gently place it back in the nest when the mother bird was not around. It wasn't cracked. There are now 3 newborn babies and one egg who hasn't hatched, so who knows if it will or if the egg was out of the nest long enough.