Roasted Quail with Potatoes and Balsamic Reduction

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We picked up some fresh quail super cheap at the Asian Market yesterday so I decided to make it for dinner. One quail is small, so most people will eat two as a meal, I only had one but I don't eat a lot.

Roasted Quail and Potatoes With Balsamic Reduction

4 Quail (or how ever many you need to feed people)
2 Celery Stalks
Olive Oil
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup cheap balsamic vinegar
1/2 shallot
salt and pepper to taste
butter/margarine
potatoes (I used about 10 new potatoes)

*Preheat oven to 450-500 degrees*
1. Let quail come to room temperature for about 20 minutes.
2. Boil potatoes while you're getting the quail ready.
3. Tie the quail as you would a chicken, keeping the legs close to the body. I didn't have any kitchen string, so I just used some chives. I don't know if it helped the flavour or anything, but it didn't taste bad.
4. Stick some butter in the opening of the quail.
5. Place quail in roasting pain, using the celery stalks to keep them on their backs. One piece of stalk on either side of the quail, like this - |0|0|0|0|
6. Drain your potatoes and cut them into quarters (if using new potatoes), or small pieces (if using regular potatoes). Put them in the roasting pan around the quail.
7. Pour olive oil over quail, making sure to completely cover each bird. Sprinkle salt and pepper over both quail and potatoes.
8. Mince 1/2 shallot and sprinkle over quail and potatoes.
9. Put roasting pan in the over for 10-15 minutes. It is important to cook quail quickly so that they don't dry out. If you have an instant read thermometer, pull them when they reach 180 degrees.
10. Pull roasting pan from oven, transfer quail to a plate and tent with tin foil. Remove celery and discard. Transfer potatoes to an oven safe dish, turn down oven temperature and put them back in (this is just to keep them warm for the next 10 minutes).
11. Drain the fat from the roasting pan and deglaze the pan on a burner with chicken stock. Bring to simmer.
12. Transfer stock to small pot. Turn burner up to high and add 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar. Allow to boil and reduce until it's about the consistency of gravy, about 10 minutes.

When you plate the quail and potatoes, drizzle the sauce over both. It's absolutely amazing (and cheap)!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds really good! I bet you could something similar with halves of Cornish hens. I love balsamic vinegar, so that would be delicious for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would think so!

I was surprised at how good quail is to be honest. It was $7 for 6 of them, we ate three, Leiki got one and each of the dogs got one, lol.

For anyone that hasn't had quail before, it tastes more like turkey than chicken and is a bit gamey, although Mike noticed it more than I did. Then again, I like gamey meat, lol.

The balsamic reduction is REALLY good. We were both surprised, because it does call for a lot of vinegar (1/2 of the sauce is vinegar!), but it doesn't taste acidic at all, it's a really nice sauce.