Road Trip with Turtle and many questions

turtlesnewmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought I would try to take Turtle to the Vet on Wednesday. I have no idea when she was there last or if Cheryl ever took her. I'm sticking with the same vet that Cheryl took all of her cats to for over 20 years. There is nothing wrong with Turtle. I thought may be just a check up would be okay.

Is this even a good idea? Is it too soon? She still has a few adjustments to make and I don't want to freak her out. I don't want to destroy the trust that I waited so long to get.

Okay, if you all vote that it's a good idea then my questions wold be as followed:

.1. What questions should I ask the vet? 

2. What will I be expected to know?

3. Should I take some Turtle poop with me?

4. And how in the H**** do I get her into the carrier? 

5. Should I leave the carrier out where she can see it a couple days before?

6. Should I douse it with Feliway first?

7. I want the vet to look at her teeth--can she do that?  I won't need to go to a kitty cat dentist, will I?

The trip is only a 6 minute drive from my house, but I know that a short trip won't mean anything to her. I don't want to traumatize her. 

Let me know what you all think. I could easily talk myself out of this. Since I'm a first-time mommy over here I'm a little anxious, but I will I will absolutely take the advice of the wise ones--i.e. all of you.

Thanks

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it be possible to ask the vet when she is due considering the circumstances?  I know files are private but at least ask they may let you know/or have her records.

She is spayed right?  If so I would waita few months if her health is fine.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I'm not an expert, my guess is to wait a little while longer, unless she has some obvious health problems.    Of course she definitely has to see a vet on a regular basis, but maybe a little more adjustment time would be good.     Is this a vet that might make an exception and make a house call in view of the unusual circumstances?     Vet visits are never fun and our cats scream their little heads off in the the carrier on the way to the vet.  But once it's over they seem to always know they're on their way home.  Our first cat used to "not talk to us" for the rest of the day after a vet visit.

I'm curious to see if the rest of TCS agrees that you should give it a little time.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could call the vet and ask how Turtle behaved at her other visits....assuming there were other visits.  That is usually in their files.  My vet will write "nervous x 2" or 3 on their chart.   Or they may just remember how she was.

I would leave the carrier out for a while before putting her in it.  Feed her by it...even in it with the door open. Feliway has never worked around here, but others swear by it.  It is the rare cat that does not get nervous going into the carrier.  Try putting her in and letting her out a few times at home.  Move her from room to room and let her out each time.  Desentisize her.

I had one cat that actually had to take a sedative to be transported.  Sometimes it works better to stand the carrier on end and lower the cat into it, holding the back legs together, lower the cat tail end first into the container.  One of my cats chewed the metal grate on the door of the carrier so, that my husband had to place a thin sheet of wood on the inside of the door to keep him from getting his nose all bruised and bloody!  It certainly is a challenge.

Then again, she may be just fine!

Good luck with Turtle....you deserve an award for taking Cheryls precious girl in.  Cheryl is smiling down on you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

turtlesnewmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh thank you so much for your suggestions, especially explaining to me HOW to get her into the carrier! Common sense eludes me when it comes to these simple things with her. I wish this feliway stuff worked on me!

I'm going to call the vet and see if she has a file on her. 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another trick is if she starts to fight hold her head with one hand and body with other and belly facing up then put her in head first. 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Call the vet first and explain the situation. At the very least they should be able to tell you if they have Turtle's records and when she was last seen. If it's been within the last year you shouldn't have to take her back too soon.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take an old sweatshirt and wear it a few times - without perfume or any strong scent - without washing it. Then put it in the carrier and leave it on the floor with the door open.  Chances are Turtle will use it for a nap before long.  Once she is used to the carrier, half the battle (metaphorically speaking) is won...

Ask the vet the same questions you would your own doctor.  You shouldn't have to take a stool sample unless you suspect worms.  The vet should be able to look at her teeth and tell you the condition.