Roaches!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

One thing I have to ask is what kind of roaches are they? There are different types and some insects are called "roaches" when they actually aren't. I have a friend that is a exterminator, and a lot of roaches that get in houses aren't the major disease caring kind. Not that it makes it any better. One of the common roaches that are thought of as dangerous (as in heath) roaches are wood roaches. They are long an narrow and actually do have wings and live off of wood. We've gotten a few inside by bringing in logs for the fireplace from outside, but if you live in an older building they may be feeding on the actual structure of the building so in that case it may be a lost cause. It's kind of like getting termites or carpenter ants in the main structure....they will destroy it given enough time, and spraying under the fridge and in cabinets just won't help. If they ARE those, that means the wood is already rotting in your building and it's just a matter of time before there is permenant damage or even a disaster.

I can't remember if your cats are all older or if you have younger kittens/juvenilles but PLEASE be careful of putting traps out! In the cabinets it should be fine as long as they aren't talented enough to get them opened, but please don't set them around the floor, even in obscure corners. That is how Monster got poisoned (we left one ant trap out because we couldn't find it, and of course she and Harley found it and that is the reason she now has seziures and has to be on medication for the rest of her life. If you have older cats that aren't into exploring, then it may be fine. But don't put them out where any younger cats can get to them....it could be deadly or at the very least, a HUGE vet bill (like $900 initially plus meds for the rest of his/her life).
Some are skinny and long, some are fat and short. Lots and lots I mean lots, are teeny little baby ones, lots of mid size. There is a metaphor for life in there somewhereI have to laugh about, but not right now.
They are inner city roaches, nasty suckers, and bold, they bite, but they scurry away from the light, or may be just going to regroup and get some guns. I think they may start ansering my phones soon with a slurred voice, "We have your daughter, we will get you too!"
I make jokes because I have to, it is almost 3am, and I am getting afraid to go sleep because of the bugs.

gfygrl71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nasty little buggers, My mother had them when she lived in a condo complex, her neighbor was a pig, unfortunetly you may be the cleanest person, BUT because you live in an apartment building all it takes is one person, and then everyone has them. The bad thing is if you step on them you can carry the eggs on your shoe and take them with you. I hate to say it but even if they fumigate the entire building, if that one person stays living the way they are it was a waste of money. I agree with everyone else I would call the health inspector, I always thought apartment building HAD to be inspected on a regular basis...Good Luck hun....And BTW just because someone says you live in a bad section or you may not have enough money doesn't justify not taking care of the apartment building....

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost didn't read this post cuz of the title. Roaches are one thing I would hate to have because they are disgusting. I would tell the landlord you want a professional exterminator to come and all the units should be dealt with. This needs to be stopped immediately. Good luck to you.

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is crap! You can't keep living like this. It's not right! I'm afraid you could get really sick! Like Neko posted above, the landlord has an obligation to "fix" this due to the health issues. I know your worried about money, but it won't cost you anything. This is a health department issue and your taxes have already been funded to them. The health department is there for a reason. Please Please Please call them. A phone call can't hurt to know where you stand and what the next step should be. They might even provide free roach fighters in the meantime. Like the Black & Decker one I was talking about. I paid about $5 for mine and in an apartment you really only need one depending on the size of your apartment. I just went crazy and put one in almost every room possible (3). Mine does not make any noise at all and works amazingly!

Good Luck!