Ripping Off The Bandaid When It Comes To Bringing In Friendly Stray Cat

Sanecatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone for 2 months now my husband and I have been feeding a sweet stray kitty who showed up one night crying outside or back door. Because we are not the wealthiest people and wanted to follow "protocol" we contacted many local animal rescues and animal control for our county . Long story short- the people who actually answered the phone couldn't help us and would just send us to another organization that didn't even get back to us though we called, wrote letters, and even faxed them. We asked around our neiborhood and online to find where she came from and tried to find anyone who would take her but she's a black cat and no one is interested ! So now my husband and I have decided the only right choice is to bring her into our family. I have never taken in a stray before and plan to keep her in a spare bedroom to get her used to being inside and hopeful get her to take to the litter box. How can I make this process as stress free as possible for her, what are some essentials she will need besides a litter box, food and somewhere to rest and toys... How soon should I introduce her to my husband ? I just can't leave her outside anymore in the cold and rain waiting for calls from rescue groups that never come. She has a vet apointment tomorrow morning pray I can even get her in a carrier outside to take her in

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First - let me say 2 quick things..

1. Welcome to the site and to this forum! It's been a godsend for me - - I've done rescue work for years, but I still often learn great new things here from other cat lovers, and the people on it are wonderful at providing shoulders to lean on when needed (or a laugh when that's needed!). And never be afraid to ask any question - - chances are someone on this site can either answer from their experience, or point you in the direction of an answer. So welcome!

2. What kind people you and your husband are for being willing to open your hearts and home to this little one!

Black cats are the slowest color cats to be adopted out of shelters (same for black dogs), so it's likely that if you could get her into a shelter, her wait there for a home would have, sadly, been very long. And with Halloween fast approaching, getting her inside and off the streets is great. Sadly, it's not a good time for black cats to be outside. :( And with cold weather just around the corner - taking her in is a wonderful act of kindness that likely is a life-saver for her.

Do you have any other kitties (or other pets) now? Have you ever had a kitty? Do you have any idea approximately how old she is (kitten - adult cat)? The vet will be able to give you a fairly good assessment of her age.

How "people friendly" is she? Does she let you pet her - and if so, did she let you from day 1? Does she let you pick her up? I take it your husband hasn't petted her yet? I ask these (and the "other pets" questions) as they help determine how slowly you might want to take letting her have the run of the house.

You're 100% doing the right thing by initially keeping her in the extra bedroom. Even if she's extremely friendly, and you have no other animals, it is the smartest thing to do initially. It will help her make the transition into your home much easier - as she won't be as overwhelmed. In "her room" make sure you have a litter box, and food and water (just don't place the food and water too close to the litter box). Depending on how handleable she is (and how much of a kitten she is!) - you might consider "kitten proofing" the room as much as you can (blocking off tiny spaces she can hide in). If she's very friendly and handleable, just make sure there's nothing she can get into that could hurt her (tie up blind cords so they're out of reach, etc), no tiny objects lying around, breakables put away temporarily, etc. If she's not very handleable - we take kitten-proofing further (put the mattress on the floor, block off under/behind things like dressers, etc. If you don't already have a tv or radio in there, I'd at least put a radio in there, and keep it on something soothing and soft - - I use NPR alot - some people swear by classical :) It's just to help her get used to "people noises" and to provide a little "background white noise" so she doesn't jump at every sound she hears in the house. And yes - toys, a soft place to sleep, a scratching post. For kitties that are by themselves - I also have a stuffed animal they can cuddle with.

And we can offer more advice once you get her in. The vet is definitely the best first stop on her journey! And my suggestion for getting her in the carrier --set it outside today where you feed her (don't leave it out overnight - someone obviously might take it), so it's not something she's never seen before. With new kitties - we often try luring them into it with a laser pointer first -- -get her chasing it, then "lead her" right into the carrier.

Keep us posted on her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sanecatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First - let me say 2 quick things..

1. Welcome to the site and to this forum! It's been a godsend for me - - I've done rescue work for years, but I still often learn great new things here from other cat lovers, and the people on it are wonderful at providing shoulders to lean on when needed (or a laugh when that's needed!). And never be afraid to ask any question - - chances are someone on this site can either answer from their experience, or point you in the direction of an answer. So welcome!

2. What kind people you and your husband are for being willing to open your hearts and home to this little one!

Black cats are the slowest color cats to be adopted out of shelters (same for black dogs), so it's likely that if you could get her into a shelter, her wait there for a home would have, sadly, been very long. And with Halloween fast approaching, getting her inside and off the streets is great. Sadly, it's not a good time for black cats to be outside. :( And with cold weather just around the corner - taking her in is a wonderful act of kindness that likely is a life-saver for her.

Do you have any other kitties (or other pets) now? Have you ever had a kitty? Do you have any idea approximately how old she is (kitten - adult cat)? The vet will be able to give you a fairly good assessment of her age.

How "people friendly" is she? Does she let you pet her - and if so, did she let you from day 1? Does she let you pick her up? I take it your husband hasn't petted her yet? I ask these (and the "other pets" questions) as they help determine how slowly you might want to take letting her have the run of the house.

You're 100% doing the right thing by initially keeping her in the extra bedroom. Even if she's extremely friendly, and you have no other animals, it is the smartest thing to do initially. It will help her make the transition into your home much easier - as she won't be as overwhelmed. In "her room" make sure you have a litter box, and food and water (just don't place the food and water too close to the litter box). Depending on how handleable she is (and how much of a kitten she is!) - you might consider "kitten proofing" the room as much as you can (blocking off tiny spaces she can hide in). If she's very friendly and handleable, just make sure there's nothing she can get into that could hurt her (tie up blind cords so they're out of reach, etc), no tiny objects lying around, breakables put away temporarily, etc. If she's not very handleable - we take kitten-proofing further (put the mattress on the floor, block off under/behind things like dressers, etc. If you don't already have a tv or radio in there, I'd at least put a radio in there, and keep it on something soothing and soft - - I use NPR alot - some people swear by classical :) It's just to help her get used to "people noises" and to provide a little "background white noise" so she doesn't jump at every sound she hears in the house. And yes - toys, a soft place to sleep, a scratching post. For kitties that are by themselves - I also have a stuffed animal they can cuddle with.

And we can offer more advice once you get her in. The vet is definitely the best first stop on her journey! And my suggestion for getting her in the carrier --set it outside today where you feed her (don't leave it out overnight - someone obviously might take it), so it's not something she's never seen before. With new kitties - we often try luring them into it with a laser pointer first -- -get her chasing it, then "lead her" right into the carrier.

Keep us posted on her!
Thank you so much for the warm welcome, I feel blessed that this wonderful form exists , I've been lurking on here for a couple months:) We do have a dog but she is a relatives that we rent the house with but she stays in the other half of the house which will be two doors between kitty and her safe room. I owned cats throughout my childhood and teen years but obviously not as a self sufficient adult. Kitty who I guess I will call Sami immediately ran up to me at around dusk with her tail perky and showered my with meows and repeatedly rubbed her face all over my legs and tried to follow me inside. The next night at around the same time Sami ran up to me meowing , I fed her and gave her water which she instantly lapped up. I took a huge risk and pet her and she accepted it and paced around getting pet until she batted at me (which she does often when I pet her) yet she still wants me to continue. My guess is she is 8 months to a year old she's small but doesn't have that "kitten face" I haven't tried to pick her up , but she has shown interest in wanting to be in my lap by putting her two front paws on my thighs when I sit with her. This morning after daily attempts by Sami to get inside she succeeded... I stayed calm and spoke to her , she stayed less than a minute before become fearful and running back outside and returning to her food close by. I hope she can be happy inside because after I have her vetted the next stop is her kitty party room. I also hope she can get to know my husband but I wonder how long after the vet and coming indoors stress period is appropriate for them to meet. My husband is a gentle man and he really wants her out of danger( especially with the halloween weirdos and dog fight psychopaths in our area) but Sami is unsure of him and my husband has never owned a cat so he hasn't touched her at all. Again thank you for your response and though I hate to admit it I need all the help I can get!

Sanecatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would it be okay to lure her into the carrier with a bit of her favorite grain free soft food? I have succeeded in getting her in it to eat a bit of it on 2 occasions but didn't have a vet appointment for her lined up at that point and didn't want her to have to live in the carrier for days until I found her vet help obviously. My mother a life long fellow Sane Cat Lady says that this is an okay technique and should turn Sami into a kitty anorexic

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that is a purr-fectly good way to lure a cat into a carrier! :)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she has a vet apt tomorrow, you might want to get her into a carrier today and put her in her kitty safe room overnight. You'll want to block off access under the bed, tables, or behind dressers/furniture. It might be difficult to get her back into the carrier, but if you leave it open on the floor with food inside so she can come and go, it might be a breeze. (Or you can carry her in her carrier into a bathroom overnight, where she'll be easier to retrieve for her appointment.)

Your husband can sit silently in the room not making eye contact with her unless she chooses. He can toss a few yummy treats her direction from time to time. And/or he can read a book out loud for a bit to get her used to his voice.

She sounds sweet. I'm looking forward to following your story with her as it unfolds.

Sanecatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since she has a vet apt tomorrow, you might want to get her into a carrier today and put her in her kitty safe room overnight. You'll want to block off access under the bed, tables, or behind dressers/furniture. It might be difficult to get her back into the carrier, but if you leave it open on the floor with food inside so she can come and go, it might be a breeze. (Or you can carry her in her carrier into a bathroom overnight, where she'll be easier to retrieve for her appointment.)

Your husband can sit silently in the room not making eye contact with her unless she chooses. He can toss a few yummy treats her direction from time to time. And/or he can read a book out loud for a bit to get her used to his voice.

She sounds sweet. I'm looking forward to following your story with her as it unfolds.
I was thinking maybe I should get her in the cat room tonight then try to get her I. The carrier again , we are in for more horrible cold rainy weather tonight and I'm afraid she won't be looking for anything but shelter in the woods in the morning . If I can't catch her in time I'll just keep trying and canceling trying and canceling lol she's worth it!

Sanecatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, that is a purr-fectly good way to lure a cat into a carrier! :)
Thanks for the reply Sarthur2 , I know I wouldnt give up food just because once I was trapped because of it

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking maybe I should get her in the cat room tonight then try to get her I. The carrier again , we are in for more horrible cold rainy weather tonight and I'm afraid she won't be looking for anything but shelter in the woods in the morning . If I can't catch her in time I'll just keep trying and canceling trying and canceling lol she's worth it!
Yes, if you think that's easier. My little feral walks into the house now and then, but if I tried to corral her into one room it would be "herding cats". It's easier to get her in a carrier outside then move her. :p

You know your kitty best. :) It's very nice of you to decide to dramatically improve her life. :catrub:

Sanecatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, if you think that's easier. My little feral walks into the house now and then, but if I tried to corral her into one room it would be "herding cats". It's easier to get her in a carrier outside then move her. :p

You know your kitty best. :) It's very nice of you to decide to dramatically improve her life. :catrub:
She's sort of avoiding the back door now that she got a looksee into where I go when I'm not out with her. Its going to be carrier first then inside I have a feeling. She's very vocal but after her trip in by her choice she's not meowing outside the door today...

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trust your instincts. Every single cat is just as unique in personality as we humans are.

Sanecatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Trust your instincts. Every single cat is just as unique in personality as we humans are.
No luck getting her in tonight she didn't show for her dinner and nightly love fest. Its so cold out she's probably hunkered down somewhere. I hope... I'll let you know how tomorrow goes. Thanks again☺

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have an outdoor shelter set up for her to hunker down in? I'm hoping to bring my backyard feral in the house during really cold nights, but if she refuses, then I have her set up outside with a cozy box out of the elements. Still...she completely disappeared for the worst of two-days of wind and rains from Hurricane Harvey. Don't know where she goes.

Sanecatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have an outdoor shelter set up for her to hunker down in? I'm hoping to bring my backyard feral in the house during really cold nights, but if she refuses, then I have her set up outside with a cozy box out of the elements. Still...she completely disappeared for the worst of two-days of wind and rains from Hurricane Harvey. Don't know where she goes.
I built her one including insulation that reflects her body heat back and it is filled with straw but the little sweety never took to it . A feral gentleman cat was the only one who ever used it. He even sat in the rain watching her reject it the moved in so I made another one closer to the house but she still won't set foot in it

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, poor dear. She doesn't know what a life of luxury she is about to lead in the near future with you. Hope she turns back up in time for her appointment tomorrow.

Sanecatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, poor dear. She doesn't know what a life of luxury she is about to lead in the near future with you. Hope she turns back up in time for her appointment tomorrow.
Yeah it's really heart breaking to think that she's missed so much of what she deserves , I really hope she shows because my husband and I can't wait to show her what being safe and happy means . cross your fingers for her!