Rip Walter, Our 20 Year Old Cat. He Was My Wife's Support While I Was Hospitalized With Leukemia.

derekvof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife and my cat, Walter, passed away a couple weeks ago at age 20. In the last three years, he was my wife's "rock" while I battled leukemia and spent 6 months hospitalized for two bone marrow transplants and over 100 blood and platelet transfusions. He kept things together and we miss him greatly. We put together a video of his life, along with my fight. Hopefully others will consider adoption, as we did too.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Walter, you were a cat's cat, and you fulfilled your feline duties of helping your human counterparts beyond all expectations.

RIP, buddy. You were so loved, and loved so much in return. You will never be forgotten!

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What an amazing and beautiful story and memorial! I'm so happy you shared this with us. As an aside: I'm moving to Indiana soon, and I'm very happy to see how many cat lovers came out to send Walter off, how proactive the shelter was at finding him a new home, and (most of all,) how loving and devoted you and your wife are to Walter and the rest of your family. I'm so glad to see that my future home state is filled with such love for cats!
Dear Walter, you were obviously loved and adored, you were a favorite cuddle buddy and an emotional rock, and you valiantly fought to the very end to stay with your family. May you all be reunited in whatever lies beyond!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Walter, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on your humans' hearts forever.

What an absolutely beautiful tribute to a Great Soul.

I'm going to repeat something to you that you so obviously know already. Love never dies. Ever. It only changes form, and continues on, still Love. Love abides. Walter has now put off that heavy coat of flesh that could no longer support his loving soul and gentle spirit. He dances on starlight now, always near, in a place where time has no meaning. He waits, patiently, until his loved ones join him in that dance. Dance on, Gentle Friend. Dance on.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only imagine how hard it must be to lose a sweet guy like that, but you loved him and he you, he helped you when you needed it and you helped him. Now he is an Angel helping others in need, what a sweet love story.

I am so sorry for your loss, what a truly great kitty and you will meet again one day and it will be wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your hearts heal a bit more each day, Lord Bless you.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you and your wife. For him to live for twenty years is a wonderful testament to your care and love. I hope your can concentrate on those twenty years. Make them your memories, let them bring you comfort and joy, not dwell on the end and it's sorrow and pain. For a cat to live to twenty is a great accomplishment. His will and his love for you strong enough to make him fight for every second he could spend here on earth to love you. He was your rock of comfort, your strength to help you with your own struggles, your constant companion and friend. But the frail physical body can only last so long, his job to love you will be eternal, but his fight to stay on this earth was at an end. He was in your life for a reason. He was in your life to bring you joy, to love you. Now he thanks you for that opportunity to give you love, for the wonderful home and the wonderful family you created. "Death cannot take that which never dies", hold that close to your heart, because your love for him is spiritual, so eternal. He will live on through your memories, they will comfort you in your time of need, the comfort and love he gave you in life will continue until the end of time.
Although he follows a new path now, that path will forever parallel your own. The incredible bond of love you formed over twenty years will tie your souls together and will never be taken from you. And knowing the strength he had through your post I know in my heart he would never want to bring sadness to your home. He loves you too much for that. so live what time you are given to the fullest. Embrace the joy in life and cherish your memories of the past.That is what he wants for the ones he loves so much. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow. Make every day a cherished memory, and live each day that is given to you with joy in your heart and thankfullness that you are alive to welcome it.
Your little one is safe and waiting. He feels your joys and your sorrows, so send him happiness. Don't darken his love with tears, have the light of happiness let it grow and bloom, it is as he would want, as we all would want for our loved ones. Take care of yourself, I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers......RIP precious Walter,. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

PS I have NEVER seen such a wonderful, loving funeral.....such a wonderful tribute to such a perfect little soul! You will be blessed.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

derekvof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for all your kind words. I'm glad that others understand how we feel. There are so many people out there still who think "its just a cat" and don't understand why we go to the efforts we do to help them along and keep them healthy, and then mourn them when they pass.

Thank you again, di and bob, les26, mamanyt1953, tinydestroyer, and Furballsmom.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HUGE hugs coming your way! Many condolences to your loss! What a wonderful story too - just goes to show how important animals are to us and how they do amazing things during dire times.

Lot's of love :grouphug: :hearthrob::redheartpump: All the best, wonderful Walter.

derekvof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your prayers betsygee and cassiopea. My wife and I really appreciate it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are so many people out there still who think "its just a cat" and don't understand why we go to the efforts we do to help them along and keep them healthy, and then mourn them when they pass.
Dear Friend, so many people, sadly maybe most, live in a world of "its." It's just a cat, or just a tree, or just a mountain or river or plant. MOST of the people here at TCS live in a world of "thous," where every living thing has meaning and value beyond just "what I can use today." We know that this will cause us grief, but we also know that our hearts only hold as much joy as our sorrow has carved, we know this world in ways that the "It People" never will, and we are the better for it. Here, you are among kindred souls, and you and your wife are not alone.

derekvof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your kind words, Mamanyt1953. Yeah it can be difficult at times, as many people do (unfortunately) say "its just a cat" and can't comprehend the relationship that many of us have with our pets.