Rip Nameless Feral Kittens 22 And 24

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just buried two beautiful long haired orange tabby females, six weeks old. They were neighborhood ferals.

My dog killed them.

I bathed their little broken bodies and weighed them. One was 22 ounces and the other 24.

They don't have names, except for "22" and "24", to reflect the tragedy that people create when they feed feral cats without taking responsibility to spay and neuter them. Homeless, nameless, short-lived cats. :disappointed: Also, if you believe that there is no harm in letting your unspayed and unneutered domestic cats go roaming and don't think that you are adding to a major problem...You Are.

If you feed feral cats because you "love cats", then be an active feral TNR volunteer. If you wish for your domestic pet cat to stay intact, then be responsible and keep it inside 100% of the time.

22 and 24, and all the other 'nameless numbers' of feral cats, will be watching from the bridge.

The little bonded pair were cleaned, prayed for, then buried together. I trapped the brother sibling one week ago yesterday. He is being fed and protected from predators. His name is Shilo. So very few get a name and a future full of promise. :(

Rest in Peace, pretty little precious ones. If one person takes a feral cat for TNR, or one person decides to spay/neuter their outdoor cat because of your story, then perhaps your short lives served some purpose. 22 :angel3: 24 :angel3:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
You did a nice thing, thank you for giving them a respectful end to their short little lives.

God Bless......:alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, les. It breaks my heart and angers me. My property is over-run every Spring and Fall with ferals. A few people in the multi-unit apartments behind me feed the ferals, but no one takes any responsibility for them beyond that. The kittens were well fed. Poor little things. They were so beautiful. If only the people feeding them had taken them inside, socialized them, and found them a home. :sniffle:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, little ones, dream you deep. Your lives mattered.

I am heartbroken that I cannot find ONE TNR group within 200 miles of my home, and we have so many cats who need assistance beyond what I, on Social Security and without a car, can provide. I would SO love to volunteer with a group, if only there was one here!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not part of a group Mamanyt. This year, I trapped one feral at work, and decided to keep her as mine. I trapped one in April. She's at the shelter for TNR right now, but had a litter of 4 right after I dropped her off, so she'll be there a few more weeks. I trapped the abandoned kitten, Shilo (22 and 24's brother) last week when he crawled up into my car engine (a few hours after I got home from work). I am hoping to "exchange" him when I pick up the feral momma cat who is currently at shelter. He should weigh enough by then.

I can only help one extra cat at a time, and my funds are not plentiful. There are just dozens of them. Every year. I'm trying to do what I can with what I have.

It's understandable Mamanyt that with no car and if there is no group for low-cost or free TNR, then you don't have much way to do anything. Thank you for the sincere intent. :hugs:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will be blessed for giving those sweet babies a proper burial, they deserved so much more from life. Thank you.
Please consider the fact that it is not 'normal' for a domestic dog to kill another domestic animal. It could have been someone's beloved cat. Dog's are protective, but they don't have to kill to be that way. Your dog has the instinct to attack and kill now, please be VERY careful around young children and other dogs. I have seen this heartache too many times, and like a serial killer starting out by torturing animals, so does a dog start out with the innocent and weak before progressing to to an innocent child who wanders into their path.
I agree with you that there are way too many feral cats. Too many strays who show up at my back yard starving and beat up because they are tossed aside by a uncaring owner. Nature has a way of dealing with the problem. Distemper and other diseases will sweep through one day. I have spayed and neutered too many to count, one at a time because I am retired and not rich. I feed the hungry and take care of countless wounds. Because I care, as you do. I have worked with the city trying to get a TNR program started, but until they understand that the cost of spaying and neutering actually SAVES them money in the long run, that won't happen. We need much more education and people in management that understand.
Once again, bless you for caring and for giving these sweet innocents the respect they deserved. Your heart is big......RIP 22 and 24, you will never be forgotten, I'll pray for the loss of innocence and that you find the peace you deserve. Sleep tight, little ones!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry! Poor babies. What kind of dog was he? That's why I've never gotten a dog, I'm afraid that it would kill my cats.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you di and bob,

My dog is and is not a cat killer. Obviously, he "is" because he "did". I let him out in the backyard to go potty, and a few minutes later I heard him barking his head off, which means he treed a feral cat or squirrel. Unlike the adult ferals, the kittens were too young to know to scramble up a tree or get back over the fence to the apartment complex where people feed the colony. He believes it is his "job" to keep strange animals on the other side of the fence. The kittens were on the ground, but not cornered. At their tender young age, their fight-or-flight instinct went the wrong way and they were trying to face-off with him and fight, rather than run from him.

He is not a cat killer in the sense that he sees some cats as family. He and my senior cat are usually in the same room together, and very often sleep together in the recliner. He also accepts Shilo as family (the sibling of the 22 & 24) who I am housing in a playpen on the patio. He walks up to Shilo's catio and they sniff nose to nose, then Charlie walks off to go do his business in the grass (and scout the perimeter of the yard). He shows no aggression with the little kit. I can bring Shilo in and sit with him in my office chair while Charlie lounges in the recliner 4-feet behind me, showing no interest in the kitten. (Should go without saying, that I wouldn't put Shilo down on the floor to explore with Charlie loose. A kitten pouncing on him could possibly send him into prey drive.)

I've known many people whose dogs would kill strange cats in the yard but be "family", and protective of family cats, once they were properly introduced. I tried very hard not to be mad at Charlie all day yesterday, but he noticed I was giving him the silent treatment in my sadness. He didn't know why I was so sad, or why I didn't feel like taking him out to play fetch. He did nothing but act instinctively.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I just buried two beautiful long haired orange tabby females, six weeks old. They were neighborhood ferals.

My dog killed them.

I bathed their little broken bodies and weighed them. One was 22 ounces and the other 24.

They don't have names, except for "22" and "24", to reflect the tragedy that people create when they feed feral cats without taking responsibility to spay and neuter them. Homeless, nameless, short-lived cats. :disappointed: Also, if you believe that there is no harm in letting your unspayed and unneutered domestic cats go roaming and don't think that you are adding to a major problem...You Are.
My SIL has created this problem X1000 over a 25 year time period. It's her own dogs that kill her tossed out cats and their kittens. I wish she would just once in her life have a smidgen of the sympathy and compassion you felt today.

If you feed feral cats because you "love cats", then be an active feral TNR volunteer. If you wish for your domestic pet cat to stay intact, then be responsible and keep it inside 100% of the time.

22 and 24, and all the other 'nameless numbers' of feral cats, will be watching from the bridge.

The little bonded pair were cleaned, prayed for, then buried together. I trapped the brother sibling one week ago yesterday. He is being fed and protected from predators. His name is Shilo. So very few get a name and a future full of promise. :(

Rest in Peace, pretty little precious ones. If one person takes a feral cat for TNR, or one person decides to spay/neuter their outdoor cat because of your story, then perhaps your short lives served some purpose. 22 :angel3: 24 :angel3:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry! Poor babies. What kind of dog was he? That's why I've never gotten a dog, I'm afraid that it would kill my cats.
He's a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. He'll be 10 years old next month. He's very good with cats after proper introductions are made.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not part of a group Mamanyt. This year, I trapped one feral at work, and decided to keep her as mine. I trapped one in April. She's at the shelter for TNR right now, but had a litter of 4 right after I dropped her off, so she'll be there a few more weeks. I trapped the abandoned kitten, Shilo (22 and 24's brother) last week when he crawled up into my car engine (a few hours after I got home from work). I am hoping to "exchange" him when I pick up the feral momma cat who is currently at shelter. He should weigh enough by then.

I can only help one extra cat at a time, and my funds are not plentiful. There are just dozens of them. Every year. I'm trying to do what I can with what I have.

It's understandable Mamanyt that with no car and if there is no group for low-cost or free TNR, then you don't have much way to do anything. Thank you for the sincere intent. :hugs:
And thank you for the work you are able to do, and for understanding how helpless one can be. AND for making sure those two little mites were sent off properly.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
And thank you for the work you are able to do, and for understanding how helpless one can be. AND for making sure those two little mites were sent off properly.
I've been right where you are and I decided it was more immoral to let them starve than to feed them and see them breeding.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been right where you are and I decided it was more immoral to let them starve than to feed them and see them breeding.
Apparently, several tenants in the apartment complex feel the same way. These ferals are quite healthy and well-fed. ...and intact. ...and fertile.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently, several tenants in the apartment complex feel the same way. These ferals are quite healthy and well-fed. ...and intact. ...and fertile.
We are rural and the cats here were all of my SILs so called rescue kittens. We had no AC or shelter and it truly is a horrible thing to watch an animal starving to death. They have some twisted belief that S/N is wrong.
Some of those well fed ferals are most likely pets that are allowed to roam. Sometimes I just wanna shake people.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're all well-fed with so many people around. Every feral had a domestic relative at some point in history. Most of these are several generations feral. The ones that live to be adults anyway. Most of the kittens don't survive one year. Cars. Dogs. Cruel people. Then another round of dozens of kittens "blooms". I don't see any of them that look diseased or starving. The little one I trapped was hungry and lost, but had been abandoned by his mother (or she was killed). He probably wasn't old enough to figure out how to get back to the apartment complex "home turf" for food.

I expect the lucky tame friendly ones probably get taken into someone's apartment at some point. With the apartments and condos which have been built right up next to my property, there are hundreds of people living inside a one mile area.

You'd think someone would help spay and neuter some of these cats, instead of just running and unofficial feeding and breeding program. These people feeding them and not taking other responsibilities make backyard breeders look good.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
They're all well-fed with so many people around. Every feral had a domestic relative at some point in history. Most of these are several generations feral. The ones that live to be adults anyway. Most of the kittens don't survive one year. Cars. Dogs. Cruel people. Then another round of dozens of kittens "blooms". I don't see any of them that look diseased or starving. The little one I trapped was hungry and lost, but had been abandoned by his mother (or she was killed). He probably wasn't old enough to figure out how to get back to the apartment complex "home turf" for food.

I expect the lucky tame friendly ones probably get taken into someone's apartment at some point. With the apartments and condos which have been built right up next to my property, there are hundreds of people living inside a one mile area.

I've buried enough cats and kittens that never had a name to know how deeply this impacts you.

You'd think someone would help spay and neuter some of these cats, instead of just running and unofficial feeding and breeding program. These people feeding them and not taking other responsibilities make backyard breeders look good.