Ringworms treatment

blessedwindz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my mother cat got infected with ringworm from her male mate, which still can't be completly cured.

Yes I've read some articles about ringworm, about hair trimming, disinfection, oral and top treatments so I got the basics. But none of them really mentioned about what kind of medical product should I use.

The thing is, I'm living in a southeast asian country so I don't have access to many pet-related products. Most of the pet center here recommend oral treatment but I don't trust them, some sell a branch named alkin fungikur cream for top treatment but so far it doesn't have much effect.

So what I wanna ask is, is there any easy-to-get top treatment products that I can use? The ones that used for human maybe? (Since a few other owners told me that they use nizoral antifungal cream on their cats to great effect).

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best treatment is a ketoconazole shampoo.  (Nizoral is ketoconazole, so your friends are using the right drug.)  Many common anti-dandruff shampoos contain ketoconazole, including Nizoral A-D.  If you use a shampoo, you should totally saturate the cat's coat and leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes before rinsing it off.  See the directions at this link for the shampoo we use in our rescue.  It has ketoconazole for fungus and chlorhexadine to kill bacteria.  As you can see, it contains 1% ketoconazole.  If you can find a human shampoo containing that concentration it should be fine.  https://www.petflow.com/product/pure-love/ketoconazole1-chlorhexidine2-shampoo-for-dogs-and-cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blessedwindz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you,I didn't know about ketoconazole, now I'll have to look for better products to use. Anyway, how often should I bath her with said shampoo?

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The instructions with the PureLove product say:

'May be used initially 2 to 3 times a week for 4 weeks, then reducing to once a week, or as directed by your veterinarian."