ringworm

brandyjo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My household was infected with ringworm by a foster cat. Only one cat has a single lesion and it's on his nose. Both cats are being treated with oral itraconazole and have been on it a month now. It was a small area to begin with and I feel it should've been healed by now. Anyway, the spot on his nose looks worse/bigger (dark in color, not crusty) since I've been putting antifungal cream (miconazole) on it. He has hair over the area. Could it be that the ringworm is healed and I am just irritating the skin further by putting cream on it? All my babies (two dogs two cats) are being quarantined in the sunroom and it's killing me, I am so depressed. I just want them back with us. I have OCD too so this is literally torture.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
The only way to find out if the ringworm is gone is to culture the spot.  I've not heard of miconazole having the kind of effect you're noticing but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.    You should really show the area to your vet to get his or her feedback and have the spot cultured at the same time.  

Here's a very long thread that discusses ringworm control in great detail.  The first post alone gives a lot of good advice.  Basically you'll learn that there are more effective ways of treating ringworm than miconazole, including the use of lime sulphur dips.  

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/316556/ringworm#post_3969728

I hope you can resolve this soon.   Ringworm is a tremendous pain, but it can be eliminated so don't give up hope!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandyjo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!I will have to read that when I get home (if I haven't already, I've about broke the internet doing research). They are all getting lime sulfur dips already as well, I'm going to stop putting cream on it. I just hate keeping them out there an extra three weeks waiting for results from another culture :(