Ringworm treatment- safe to let out of quarantine or not?

blackcatmom23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I found this wonderful website shortly after adopting my first kitten! Unfortunately, he came to us with a whole slew of health problems (giardia, coccidia, a tapeworm, and the dreaded RINGWORM). He was diagnosed via Wood's Lamp examination on Nov 4 2023 (yes. we've been dealing with this for that long :/) I believe the reason his treatment was prolonged for so long was a combination of two things; 1- his immune system was compromised from the other health issues he was dealing with and 2- our vet initially prescribed a compounded itraconazole medicine (which if you know anything about ringworm treatment you know that compounded itraconazole is useless - little to no bioavailability in the bloodstream). As soon as our kitty received his diagnosis he was quarantined to our spare room, we're a couple with no children that live in a 2 bedroom apartment. I proceeded to scour the forums on this page and deep-cleaned our entire apartment head to toe. I deep clean his quarantine room every 2/3 days, change the litter often, etc. We treated him with pure itraconazole starting Nov 29th for 5 weeks using pulse therapy (one week on, one week off) and various topical treatments including lime sulfur spray solution, miconazole ointment, and combo Chlorhexidine and Ketoconazole wipes.

This brings us to today, ALL of Kitty's lesions have cleared, and are growing hair back, he's had NO new lesions for 2 weeks. He visited the vet on Monday (January 15th) for a hair follicle/culture test because our vet wants to rule out a "persistent infection". We did a Wood's Lamp examination and NOTHING glowed, nothing. However, the culture takes about 10 days they do the culture in-house which is great. I checked in today with the vet and they said there had been no growth thus far (day 3) but that they have to give it the full 10 days to rule out anything. She says we can let him out but that it's still a gamble and would be better if we just waited until the results come back, which makes me nervous and apprehensive about letting him out now (I don't think I can mentally go through another deep-clean of everything, and I don't think kitty will take to being set free and then being put back).

So my question is, do you think it's safe enough to reintroduce him to the rest of the apartment now? I feel worse with every day that goes by and I know the little guy is feeling it too. He's spent nearly 3 months of his 5 months alive in a quarantined room and I know he's bored and getting sad/frustrated that he can't be with us. ANY INPUT IS HELPFUL - this site has been so incredibly helpful through this insane time.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You only have one more week to wait for the results, so I would probably just wait to be absolutely certain. Chances are very good that he's in the clear, but as you say, what if he isn't and then he's tasted freedom just to go back into "jail" :frown:

If it's any consolation, when we adopted our current cats, it took over five months to integrate them into the household because one of our resident cats was NOT happy with the "intruders", so the boys were stuck in their safe room all that time. And even though they were kittens, they weren't really friends. Whenever we were in there with them, they never played together or cuddled together or anything like that. Now 15 years later it's still that way.

So I guess what I'm saying is that as long as you are spending time with him, he'll be fine, poor little guy. Fingers crossed that the test comes back clear.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi blackcatmom23 blackcatmom23 and a very warm welcome to the forum !

So, I try to put myself in your shoes, and I'm thinking that, after all I had been through, I'd likely hold out until next Thursday. Yes, the odds are that he's cleared the Ringworm........but, what if there comes a growth in that culture?

So, if I stay the course and I get a dreaded call from the Vet.....the most I'd have to do would be to clean the one room.

If I let him out now, and that same call comes in...............I'm not sure I can even deal with the thought of it!

Again, just my projection..........

Meantime, an FYI...........pictures are a requirement on TheCatSite :lol:

Fergusboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did not quarantine my cats when they had ringworm, too much of a pain. I sanitized as best I could, threw away the carpeted cat trees, beds, and toys, gave them the twice weekly lime-sulfur baths, and they got a course of the antifungal terbenafine. This is the recommended tratment protocol. I did not do any follow up cultures on my cats. If you don't have other cats, and no spores showed up under the Woods Lamp, then it's very unlikely that your kitty still has any ringworm spores in his fur. Best of luck! And remember, it's inconvenient, but not fatal!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blackcatmom23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You only have one more week to wait for the results, so I would probably just wait to be absolutely certain. Chances are very good that he's in the clear, but as you say, what if he isn't and then he's tasted freedom just to go back into "jail" :frown:

If it's any consolation, when we adopted our current cats, it took over five months to integrate them into the household because one of our resident cats was NOT happy with the "intruders", so the boys were stuck in their safe room all that time. And even though they were kittens, they weren't really friends. Whenever we were in there with them, they never played together or cuddled together or anything like that. Now 15 years later it's still that way.

So I guess what I'm saying is that as long as you are spending time with him, he'll be fine, poor little guy. Fingers crossed that the test comes back clear.
Thank you, that totally makes me feel bettter! We're spending as much time as we can with him multiple times a day, I think he's just bored at this point but I don't think 6 more days will harm him, especially just to be sure! That way he can be out for GOOD.

blackcatmom23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi blackcatmom23 blackcatmom23 and a very warm welcome to the forum !

So, I try to put myself in your shoes, and I'm thinking that, after all I had been through, I'd likely hold out until next Thursday. Yes, the odds are that he's cleared the Ringworm........but, what if there comes a growth in that culture?

So, if I stay the course and I get a dreaded call from the Vet.....the most I'd have to do would be to clean the one room.

If I let him out now, and that same call comes in...............I'm not sure I can even deal with the thought of it!

Again, just my projection..........

Meantime, an FYI...........pictures are a requirement on TheCatSite :lol:
The cat picture tax has been paid :lol: You reflect my thought processes exactly - I think he will be fine for the next 6 days and this way, we're absolutely sure. I think if I had to do the cleaning all over again I may need to be put in an institution LOL.

blackcatmom23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did not quarantine my cats when they had ringworm, too much of a pain. I sanitized as best I could, threw away the carpeted cat trees, beds, and toys, gave them the twice weekly lime-sulfur baths, and they got a course of the antifungal terbenafine. This is the recommended tratment protocol. I did not do any follow up cultures on my cats. If you don't have other cats, and no spores showed up under the Woods Lamp, then it's very unlikely that your kitty still has any ringworm spores in his fur. Best of luck! And remember, it's inconvenient, but not fatal!
This makes me feel a lot better, thank you! There's so much information everywhere on treatment and cleaning, but nothing on when you know you're "in the clear"! I think we're gonna wait a little longer, even though I know the chances are extremely slim, I don't even want to deal with the small chance that something grows on the culture.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...The cat picture tax has been paid :lol:...
:nono: NOT !!!!!

You have 4 posts to your name here.........all in this thread.........I see NO pix !

[While it's sweet and endearing, the tiny pic in your profile does NOT count (my rule) ......so, it would appear that your account is in the RED ! Of course you could appeal........but, wouldn't it be easier to just show us some full-size photos of that gorgeous lovely ? Pleeeeeeeeease ! ]

blackcatmom23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:nono: NOT !!!!!

You have 4 posts to your name here.........all in this thread.........I see NO pix !

[While it's sweet and endearing, the tiny pic in your profile does NOT count (my rule) ......so, it would appear that your account is in the RED ! Of course you could appeal........but, wouldn't it be easier to just show us some full-size photos of that gorgeous lovely ? Pleeeeeeeeease ! ]
Here's sweet baby Felix!
IMG_2494.png

Attachments