Ringworm questions

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve read the massive thread about ringworm here and posted one of my questions in it, but I think it’s too old. Searching other threads for answers too but I still have a few. I’m trying to limit my scope to the Cat Site article and threads here. There is so much info out there! A lot of it contradictory.

My biggest question is about Itraconazole. I’m seeing that only Sporanox works but my vet prescribed Itrafungol. The shelter I got my cats from also uses it. Does it not work?? Should I ask for Sporanox?

Next question is about pulse vs three straight weeks. Vets are saying pulse but I know shelters do three straight weeks. Is that just to prevent confusion when dosing lots of cats?

Next question is cat toys. Through them out? I have a toy that has a base and tree branches with balls. I have little stuffed toys. Can you sanitize them? Just throw them out? I feel like I’ve stripped that room. I took both their beds and have a sheet on the full size bed that I switch out. No pillows. One cat is on week two or oral treatment and the other started week one last night. Don’t have PCR results yet but I see scabby skin on his back.

I got these two from a shelter but they have been in a foster home that has lots of foster kittens. Thinking that’s where it came from. Unfortunately I didn’t notice until I had them over a week. They were confined to bedroom but had ventured out a few times for a few minutes. I am hoping the house wasn’t contaminated. They haven’t lost fur and you have to dig under the fur to see glowing fur. It’s not on the surface. My vet also says it’s not a huge infection but I know it can grow.

The shelter has offered to help me dip them so we are going tonight. Maybe it’s something I can do at home? If not, it’s nice they are helping me.

I ordered some wipes that are chlorhexadine and miconizale. Should I just wipe on scabby area or all over fur or not at all?

I wiped down room and put away clutter and books after wiping them with diluted bleach. Vacuumed. Plan on doing that daily or every other day.

I adopted Clarence (he’s the senior cat with the cleft palate) and Liam his bonded therapy cat on May 17. I can’t wait to get this cleared up so I can let them

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I believe that Intrafungol and Sporonox are brand names for itraconazole. In that case, you would not need to ask for another preparation.

NIH and ASPCA Los Angeles foster program both use and endorse the pulse treatment.

Go to the shelter for the first dip, especially since it is scheduled. It can be done at home, but it also might be good if you saw someone do it the once.

I am a person who throws things out, but you can launder any item that is washable in hot water and detergent.
How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] - TheCatSite
https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&catId=102903&id=7058488

This article refers to a lime sulphur dip or a miconazole/chlorhexidine shampoo. Ask the shelter or vet what they recommend as far as the wipes are concerned.
Ringworm in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Animal Hospitals.

There are various approaches to ringworm and I don't think that you are being misled from what you have posted. You have really had your hands full and these boys are very lucky to have found you. Please keep us posted as to how they are, especially Clarence, and how the ringworm progresses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe that Intrafungol and Sporonox are brand names for itraconazole. In that case, you would not need to ask for another preparation.

NIH and ASPCA Los Angeles foster program both use and endorse the pulse treatment.

Go to the shelter for the first dip, especially since it is scheduled. It can be done at home, but it also might be good if you saw someone do it the once.

I am a person who throws things out, but you can launder any item that is washable in hot water and detergent.
How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] - TheCatSite
https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&catId=102903&id=7058488

This article refers to a lime sulphur dip or a miconazole/chlorhexidine shampoo. Ask the shelter or vet what they recommend as far as the wipes are concerned.
Ringworm in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Animal Hospitals.

There are various approaches to ringworm and I don't think that you are being misled from what you have posted. You have really had your hands full and these boys are very lucky to have found you. Please keep us posted as to how they are, especially Clarence, and how the ringworm progresses.
THANK you for your response! Reading the links now....

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all. Clarence ends his final week of Itrafungol on July 3rd. When should I take him for his first follow-up PCR? Liam was negative, but I wasn't in the room when they took the culture and I don't trust that the tech got a good sample. They're in the same room. No way he doesn't have it. I gave him the Itrafungol anyway to be safe.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
https://www.idexx.com/files/ringworm-pcr-panel.pdf
Idexx says after lesions have resolved and after four weeks of treatment, then negative on two tests 1-3 weeks apart.
Since you treated both Clarence and Liam, the same time frame might apply. Ask your vet if this is the time frame that they follow. Is the shelter still treating them and in charge of this or do you have a vet?

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
https://www.idexx.com/files/ringworm-pcr-panel.pdf
Idexx says after lesions have resolved and after four weeks of treatment, then negative on two tests 1-3 weeks apart.
Since you treated both Clarence and Liam, the same time frame might apply. Ask your vet if this is the time frame that they follow. Is the shelter still treating them and in charge of this or do you have a vet?
The shelter is dipping Clarence once a week. They said since Liam was negative and no lesions that we can see, no dips. The first one was traumatic for everyone I think, especially him. They are under care of vet and he said a week after last dose is good time to test.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Went to the vet today. Found a spot we think is ringworm, but sent for testing. We shaved it and it's powdery on the skin. So that's five weeks of Itrafungol and one dip a week. How does he still have ringworm? I must not be cleaning enough or thoroughly enough. I'm really discouraged.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet said I should try this cream. What do you all think of Terbinafine?

Attachments

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Terbinafine - Topical | VCA Animal Hospitals(brand%20name%20Lamisil%C2%AE,fungal%20skin%20infections%20in%20cats.

I have never used it, but it is definitely part of the treatments available for ringworm.
Thanks! How long do you think until I test him again? After another five week course? My vet doesn’t see ringworm often so he’s not too savvy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Did the vet give you a timeline for the Terbinafine? If so, I might test at the end of that...not necessarily the end of the entire medication, but the time that the vet wants you to use it in case those are different.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did the vet give you a timeline for the Terbinafine? If so, I might test at the end of that...not necessarily the end of the entire medication, but the time that the vet wants you to use it in case those are different.
He just told me to buy the OTC cream with no other suggestions. I don’t think he’s very ringworm savvy. He said dips were overkill. (I’m doing it anyway.)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The usual estimate ranges from 2 to 4 weeks, but you should see improvement as the time goes on. Did he tell you to use it everyday?

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The usual estimate ranges from 2 to 4 weeks, but you should see improvement as the time goes on. Did he tell you to use it everyday?
He just said to buy some. I'm going to use it every day. Although I emailed a vet that works in a shelter and she sees ringworm all the time. She sent me this article: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/vde.12440

It says what I have read on this site. Best thing is oral meds and twice weekly dips.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The trips to the shelter for a weekly dip are really stressful for Clarence and they are encouraging me to try to do it at home twice a week. I'm alone, but I'll try. I ordered all the stuff I need and I'll start Monday night. Thursday night is the last dip at the shelter and they're going to help me practice. It always takes two of them, so I have my doubts as to whether I can do this alone. I don't have anyone to help me, though. I can't believe he still has ringworm and that Liam doesn't have a spec on him. It's a miracle. I guess his immune system is really strong.

My strategy is this: Big storage container in my bathtub. Going to use a spray bottle to soak his fur with the dip and rub it in. (I bought a vinyl apron for this part.) Then I'll wrap him in a towel and let him dry a while in the carrier. They also use eye lube to make sure the dip doesn't splash in his eyes, so I ordered some of that. Just one more thing. Once again I adopted some cats and ended up spending a fortune. lol. Oh well. They are worth it. I just wish the foster mom had told someone he had ringworm so he could have been treated before I got him. I feel like I always adopt the sick ones. I'm a magnet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Close the bathroom door so that you don't have a soaked cat running through the house. Spray bottles can upset cats, although Clarence may be fine. I am only saying this because I have had cats who were half-medicated or the like run and take refuge under a piece of furniture.

I have bathed cats for medical reasons and the reaction really varies from cat to cat. Good luck and let us know how it goes. You really have done all you can for these two.