Ringworm, mites, or allergies?

ChyElly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 yr old cat Lucy has had itchy ears the past few months. When I took her to the vet in May, she showed a minor infection. I was given a solution to treat with, but she has continued to scratch at her ears. Recently, she has developed bald spots on her ears. They have small brown spots underneath. There is no redness or scaliness that is indicative of ringworm. I took her to the vet this morning, who didn’t think it looked like ringworm, and nothing showed up under a Wood’s lamp. We did go ahead and do a PCR test, but I’m beginning to worry this actually is ringworm.

She had ringworm as a kitten and it was horrible having to quarantine her and constantly clean. She’s also completely inside, so I don’t know Where she could have gotten it from. Her ears were completely clean at the vet. Is it possible these are due to ear mites, or a food allergy? She has no other hair loss on her body, and neither does my other cat.

Attachments

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
brown spots are ear mites
Ear mites are white and too small to be seen by the naked eye.

The brown spots look like scabs. It's possible that it's allergies, since ear mites and infection seem to have been ruled out. It doesn't look like ringworm. Is she on flea prevention? Even though she's inside only she can still get fleas. What did the vet say on your last visit? Did they mention any dosages for allergy meds for you to try?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say allergies too. It does NOT look like ringworm, it would have spread horribly by now anyway. It is from her scratching, the brown spots are scabs. Go online at Amazon or your favorite pet site, or go to a farm supply store and get her a soothing salve/cream to apply. Make sure it is for cats and is for scratching. You might apply a dab of triple antibiotic on the spots, just make sure it does NOT have pain relievers in it.