Ringworm anxiety

tomato78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m seeking some advice regarding ringworm recurrence! How likely is it to happen? What level of exposure can cause it? The fact spores can live for 2 years… do I just have to wait it out to be fully confident?
Earlier this year I adopted 2 cats, one of which gave ringworm to the other. The symptoms began at the beginning of September. They’ve been treated with itrafungol, lime sulfur baths, and I’ve cleaned rigorously. They’ve both been cleared by the vet at the end of November. They were both isolated separately in different rooms.
What I’m really struggling with now is accepting that it is safe to introduce them to each other as well as to let them roam the house!! (I’ve been letting them roam individually, but they are still hissing through the door so face to face will wait a bit longer). This experience was so SO stressful for me I don’t want to deal with it again, especially as I will be much much busier with work and school in the upcoming year. The cat that brought ringworm into the house had also been cleared by the shelter vet with two negative cultures which is also not helping my anxiety regarding really trusting it is gone!
Any advice or anecdotes would be much appreciated!!! Thank you!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There are absolutely no guarantees, but chances are that once both of them have been fully treated and have tested negative, AND you have thoroughly cleaned everywhere possible after they have been cleared, and YOU haven't gotten it since and they have remained clear, you are good to go.