Ringworm and quarantine

mamakay4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
8CD7124C-A15D-4E24-88F7-90FDE93BD36A.jpeg
I have an almost 3 mo old kitten that tested positive for ringworm. She’s been on itrafungol and topical spray. The suspected ringworm was at the very tip of her tail. Since then, her tail has completely healed and the fur grew back. She’s had 3 woodslamp tests, all negative. She had a culture June 27 that was positive within 5-6 days. She had another culture July 10 that’s showing no growth (yet). We’re hopeful this is resolved but my question is how bad is it if we allow her out of quarantine? She’s digressed socially and it’s become a concern. When we go into see her, she runs and hides. When she does come out, she tends to be a bit aggressive. She was extremely social before her quarantine and so sweet. We do have another cat and have noticed behavioral changes there too- hiding, refusal to eat, hissing. We know that’s because kitten is quarantined in her favorite hangout and she’s not been allowed in. Older cat is healthy 1 yr old.

If the worst case scenario is possible ringworm, I don’t know that it’s really worth these cats developing behavior issues. If I don’t let kitten run free, what about putting kitten in a playpen or crate in the family room to at least limit direct exposure? Please help! Attached before and current photos.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
refusal to eat,
I'm not an expert, but in my opinion your kitten will come back around to being sweet once normal life for her is reinstated. I find it a lot more concerning that your other cat is refusing to eat and hiding. This behavior goes way beyond any frustration over not being allowed into a favorite location.
Older cat is healthy 1 yr old.
Are you certain, has the vet seen this one recently?

Can you give both of them over-the-counter calming products and see if there's something that you humans are doing that can be toned down?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamakay4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not an expert, but in my opinion your kitten will come back around to being sweet once normal life for her is reinstated. I find it a lot more concerning that your other cat is refusing to eat and hiding. This behavior goes way beyond any frustration over not being allowed into a favorite location.

Are you certain, has the vet seen this one recently?

Can you give both of them over-the-counter calming products and see if there's something that you humans are doing that can be toned down?
Furballsmom Furballsmom thanks! Part of the issue is that the 2 cats haven’t met yet so I think our older cat feels like she’s been replaced. We found out about the ringworm less than 24hrs after we got her (the shelter didn’t think it was ringworm at all so they were surprised with a positive test).It was a bad way to bring in a new kitten to a completely new environment, she was immediately quarantined.

Our vet thinks it’s because of all of this that older girl is acting the way she is. She has no other issues and it all started after new kitten got here. She will come out occasionally but she’s very aware of the kitten and is displaying that in her behavior. I think it would’ve been better if they met before all of this happened.

I’m sure kitten will come around but after 3 weeks of this and seeing the behavior changes, I don’t know that a quarantine is the best thing, not to mention it’s very hard on me to keep up. I think if I put a pet playpen in my living room at least they can see each other without direct contact.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How much longer do you have to wait to hear an 'all clear' given you have gone 7 days without another positive result?

You didn't mention how much attention you are giving the kitten while in quarantine, so that might explain the regression in her behavior. It is a lot of hard work to manage trying to NOT spread the ringworm, and still give the kitten adequate attention - but that is what it takes to avoid the isolation affect this kitten is experiencing.

Given your other cat's response, I would give her back the area she was once used to - clean it and move the kitten to another location. I would imagine that the denial to her beloved place is impacting her greatly. If you give it back to her, that may change things for her for the positive.

I personally think this all has to take place before you start introducing them. You are rushing the situation in an all too unfortunate set of circumstances. Patience and fortitude.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamakay4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How much longer do you have to wait to hear an 'all clear' given you have gone 7 days without another positive result?

You didn't mention how much attention you are giving the kitten while in quarantine, so that might explain the regression in her behavior. It is a lot of hard work to manage trying to NOT spread the ringworm, and still give the kitten adequate attention - but that is what it takes to avoid the isolation affect this kitten is experiencing.

Given your other cat's response, I would give her back the area she was once used to - clean it and move the kitten to another location. I would imagine that the denial to her beloved place is impacting her greatly. If you give it back to her, that may change things for her for the positive.

I personally think this all has to take place before you start introducing them. You are rushing the situation in an all too unfortunate set of circumstances. Patience and fortitude.

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner thanks! The problem is that I have no other space that I could move the kitten to that would keep her quarantined. She’s currently in my bedroom, I don’t have another room with a door that she could be in.

They told us the results could take 2 more weeks, but usually if positive it shows by 7-10 days. They can’t give us the all clear until we hit the 21 day mark though. Her last test was positive between days 5-6.