Ringworm? (already Been To Vet)

Tris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I brought my new kitten Coda to the Vet because of some scabbing on her ear. It started off looking like dirt in her ear and evolved into a scabby area.

The vet gave her ear mite treatment due to her brother having it and then looked at the area under a black light which he struggled to find the glow but ultimately said it looked like Ringworm.

Treating with oral and topical meds.

I am curious if they were right though, because I have had her for about a month, no one but her has ringworm symptoms and it is staying to the ears only.

Today she had another spot on the ear that was more of a fresh puss type raised bump than the scaly scabby area.

I am including some pictures because I can't seem to find anything that looks like this for ringworm.

IMG_2981.jpg
IMG_2980.jpg
IMG_2980.jpg

New spot is on the right about 5mm down not black the normal spot is upper left as you can see it is black scabbed or crusting:

IMG_2982.jpg

Oh, she has been on the meds since monday now.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its hard to say for sure, but ringworm does seem like a possibility. The way to tell for sure is to take a skin scraping and send it to a lab to be tested.

Cats can carry ringworm without becoming infected, so it's possible that only Coda (with a kitten's less robust immune system) would actually show signs of it. Until you know for sure, it certainly won't do any harm to treat her as though she has ringworm. Your vet is the only one who can give a definitive answer, though. If it were me, I'd get the scraping and culture done, just so I knew one way or the other ;)
Ringworm Infestation In Cats: The Housecleaning Regime
Skin Conditions In Cats