Ringing in the ears??

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Theres a motto: Deaf people can do anything except hear.
And I was sitting here thinking when I read this that you also don't have to deal with the distractions that "hearing" people do too, Unlike my hub, I have "supersonic" (for lack of a better word) hearing. I hear things that most others don't, and hear very soft noises well too. Some voices in very low tones I have trouble understanding, but I stll hear them. That's one of the reasons I hate crowded places, I feel like I'm listening in on 100 conversations at once, and if just overwhelms me! Needless to say, I don't like loud music, and I cannot tolerate high-pitched, loud noises, they make me have chills. Yup, I know, I'm wierd, but then, you all knew that already!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

And I was sitting here thinking when I read this that you also don't have to deal with the distractions that "hearing" people do too, Unlike my hub, I have "supersonic" (for lack of a better word) hearing. I hear things that most others don't, and hear very soft noises well too. Some voices in very low tones I have trouble understanding, but I stll hear them. That's one of the reasons I hate crowded places, I feel like I'm listening in on 100 conversations at once, and if just overwhelms me! Needless to say, I don't like loud music, and I cannot tolerate high-pitched, loud noises, they make me have chills. Yup, I know, I'm wierd, but then, you all knew that already!
You're not weird. I'm like that too. Hubby is just the opposite. He can't hear very well. He turns the tv up in the bedroom really loud and it drives me up the wall. I have it barely above mute and he is always saying," can you turn it up? I can't hear it!" but when I come home, I can hear his music from outside the house, it's that loud!( geez and he wonders why he can't hear very well!)Heck I can tell when he is coming home because I can hear the music in his car when he is in the front of the house driving in the street to the back to the garage! and all the doors and windows are closed and his windows are rolled up because it's winter!
As for the high pitched squeals, it gives me chills thinking about them!!!!

catfolks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kelly I did not mean to offend you I was talking about a 3 year old they did it on
Im am not saying anything bad about deaf people I had the BAD vertigo to the point where I could not even drive no TV, no video game, no computter and could hardly work.
So please forgive me I did not mean that way.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catfolks

Kelly I did not mean to offend you I was talking about a 3 year old they did it on
Im am not saying anything bad about deaf people I had the BAD vertigo to the point where I could not even drive no TV, no video game, no computter and could hardly work.
So please forgive me I did not mean that way.
I understand, a lot of people don't really understand about Deaf culture and cochlear implants. I just thought you might like to know. I understand that the parents of the young child want their child to be normal. But however, the way technology is going, there may be better technology for deaf people to hear again - and one that is not so obvious. The cochlear implant has this round thing on the head - it is held there by a magnet, not something that a person wants to walk around wearing. A guy I know, had one, and was told not to play sports. He did it anyway and it damaged the implant and it is irreversible. So they put another one in and it was also damaged. Now he has two non working cochlear implants. A girl I know, had an implant but it caused terrible terrible headaches that her parents had to take out a court order to get the doctors to remove it - the headaches were so bad that she couldnt walk. I feel that unless a doctor has had a cochlear implant himself, he should not push that onto the parents, because it is not fair on the child, why not let the child decide for themselves?

Charlie - I am not upset with you, I try and educate people about those things before they decide how wonderful they are.

catfolks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now I now have a differnt point of veiw of things Thank YOU like Isaid I only Knew
what I saw in the DR. office I guess the child would have been suprised to hear
for the first time.
I just knew that DR. did me a lot of good to stop the vertigo and reverse my hearing loss last time I had a hearing test it was still at 90% normal.
One other thing when mine was so bad I heard with one ear ok. but the other ear
was a split second latter so that makes it even harder to understand.
No hard feeling here just a new point made.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats okay Charlie

You know whats funny? People take their hearing for granted - but me - I love my silence. That is who I am - I am proud to be Deaf and wouldn't have it any other way. I love being part of a small, unique community, it really is wonderful.

On the other hand, I am sorry about your vertigo - I have had bouts of labyrinthitis and that drove me up the wall! It is one of the worst feelings in the world - the room is spinning and its hard enough knowing which way to go to throw up in the bathroom!!! I feel for you. I hope it never comes back!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golden_moon_luv

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow lots of reply's.
Yes the ringing can be annoying, but I have adjusted to it.
I can find things that can comfert the ring. My grandmother had to have ear surgery for ringing in her ears and thats when I stared having mine really.

I did find a treatment long ago I found interesting. They use a device to help you learn to ignore the sound. It uses sound it self. I belive I've dsone the same but with out the noise. I acepted it as an every day thing. Its amazing now that I think of it, I counldn't deal with it back then. It drove me crazy.

Ashley