Ring worm

Ldschaefer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,
I have two brother adult cats that I rescued as kittens. They have been very healthy cats and I treat them like royalty. Recently one of my cats got some sore spots. I thought maybe it was from his litter mate getting overly playful with him. After seeing additional sore spots I googled it and it looked like ring worm. I got the black light out and they had a green tint under the light. I called the vet and they gave me meds to treat my cat because he was just in to see the vet a couple weeks ago. They did not give me meds for my other cat and he has no lesions. I question if my cat got ring worm from the vet clinic. I’m cleaning my house to the point I feel like I’m going to lose it. I feel like when I read about ring worm they make it out like i need to burn my house down. I have an appointment Wednesday to have him looked at to confirm the ring worm. I asked about sulfer dips and they don’t do them and I don’t think I can give these big boys a sulfer dip myself. I am beside myself I never knew ring worm was this serious. Oh and also I’m a Germaphobe!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you or your other cats do not have lesions, it may not be ringworm. It spreads very easily and very quickly. Can you post some pictures? Confining them to certain parts of the house may reduce the amount of cleaning. Is he licking/scratching excessively? That may explain the spots. Or allergies, or small wounds that developed from fighting or playing too rough. Wounds almost always lose the fur around them. IF you develop any lesions get them treated with a fungicide, and keep them covered with a bandaid. that prevents them from spreading. i treated MANY children with ringworm when I worked for the schools and NEVER got it myself with proper hand washing and the wearing of gloves.
Try not to panic, it CAN be taken care of, we will help you with proven methods and what to use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ldschaefer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you or your other cats do not have lesions, it may not be ringworm. It spreads very easily and very quickly. Can you post some pictures? Confining them to certain parts of the house may reduce the amount of cleaning. Is he licking/scratching excessively? That may explain the spots. Or allergies, or small wounds that developed from fighting or playing too rough. Wounds almost always lose the fur around them. IF you develop any lesions get them treated with a fungicide, and keep them covered with a bandaid. that prevents them from spreading. i treated MANY children with ringworm when I worked for the schools and NEVER got it myself with proper hand washing and the wearing of gloves.
Try not to panic, it CAN be taken care of, we will help you with proven methods and what to use.
Thank you for responding. I thought the spots were playful bites from his brother. He had something similar a year ago that I took him to the vet for and they gave me a topical solution for what they said were bites. This time it started with my son getting a spot on his neck which appears to be ringworm. He works from home and has not been out of the house the previous 2weeks to pick up ringworm. One of the cats likes to be carried and puts his head on his neck so I started to google and the spots on my cat resemble ringworm. My son used a black light on our cats spots and he said they glowed. I have a vet appointment tomorrow. I’ve been cleaning like a crazy person. Now I wonder what my cat had last year was from him and his brother playing or ring worm and if it wasn’t and this is ringworm he probably got it from the vet because we were there a month ago to get their shots and my cat laid in a cute wall hammock that may have been infected. My other cat had never had any sign of anything.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It very well could be ringworm if your son got a lesion. Have him treat it with a ringworm fungicide and keep it covered with a band-aid. You might want to confine the cats to a smaller area, like a couple of rooms instead of the whole house.