Riley is in the beginning stages of renal failure

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is he feeling any better? 

I too am interested in how things are going after losing my kitty to CRF.  Wishing I had found this site earlier.  I keep hoping for some 'miracle' treatment for CRF...  *sigh*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's home and feeling MUCH better. :clap: The appetite stimulant finally worked. They did fluids and gave him meds to settle his stomach if the antibiotic was upsetting it and they allowed him to go to dry food.

I know, dry food isn't good for CRF kitties but the point is for him to eat right now. He ate Taste of the Wild at the vets office and they sent me home with a small bag so we'll see which he prefers, TOW or EVO.

Now, onto the business of dealing with the CRF. Thanks to all of you following along giving advice, commiserating and sending vibes. This has been a long week, I hope he can relax a little now.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AW you SO deserve to relax and rest because at least all is well right now, tonight. :hugs: I am SO glad to hear that Riley is feeling better. Good luck with the food - and you are right - he MUST eat - so important. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad he is home feeling better and eating!!

My CRF kitty did like the a/d wet food when she had a poor appetite.  This is the one food she would eat if I hand fed her.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Phew!  So glad he is home AND eating...anything is better than nothing IMHO.  And my CRF cat would only eat AD when the can was first opened, then never again from that can, goofy guy, and would only eat about a tablespoon at that!   But I dutifully bought it for him anyway, just to try to get a few extra calories in him.  I also bought KMR to add to his food, thinking he might like that.  That was a no go
.  But he really, really liked the freeze dried chicken breasts (Whole life).  He had those every night before bed and every morning first thing when I got up, just to try to have something on his tummy to prevent that frothy throw up so common with CRF cats (along with taking Pepcid AC 3 times a day)  Hopefully Riley is a long way away from that yet.

(BTW, that stuff I'm sending you is going in the mail today
...sorry it took so long)

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Phew!  So glad he is home AND eating...anything is better than nothing IMHO.  And my CRF cat would only eat AD when the can was first opened, then never again from that can, goofy guy, and would only eat about a tablespoon at that!   But I dutifully bought it for him anyway, just to try to get a few extra calories in him.  I also bought KMR to add to his food, thinking he might like that.  That was a no go :rolleyes: .  But he really, really liked the freeze dried chicken breasts (Whole life).  He had those every night before bed and every morning first thing when I got up, just to try to have something on his tummy to prevent that frothy throw up so common with CRF cats (along with taking Pepcid AC 3 times a day)  Hopefully Riley is a long way away from that yet.

(BTW, that stuff I'm sending you is going in the mail today :anon: ...sorry it took so long)
First off, don't apologize! I am fine for now. :D

As for the finicky eating, my goodness I can relate. What makes the refusal to eat the can post first feeding so ridiculous is the face they make when they sniff it...the look on their face is like "Oh my god, you are trying to poison me. Why would you ever think I would eat that?" and then the dramatic jump off the counter like I just insulted their very existence. :lol3:

He kept me busy overnight last night, waking me up every couple of hours to give him a nibble of food. He was still very hungry. He's also very tired. He just laid in my lap all evening yesterday, I felt so bad for him. DH said that he has bothered him off and on for food throughout the day today as well so I'm thinking he's back to his normal eating pattern.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SUCH a cutie pie! :lovegrin2 And I'm sorry his eating drives you nuts, but I'm glad to hear he's back to his normal eating pattern. :lol3:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
SUCH a cutie pie! :lovegrin2 And I'm sorry his eating drives you nuts, but I'm glad to hear he's back to his normal eating pattern. :lol3:
Yea, it drives me crazy but the minute he stopped , I freaked out and was so sad. :lol3: Normal for him is everyone else's crazy, and I'm OK with that. I just want him happy. I mean, how boring would my life be if someone wasn't being difficult??!!