Right pupil dilated/larger than left

zamba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, I signed up a week ago or so, and I'm glad I did because now I need some advice.

I have a 19-20 month old part-Bengal who as of about two hours ago his right pupil appeared more dilated than the left.  I googled it and came across several potential causes, but am unsure what to do.  Money is a little bit tight right now, as I have a kid due in two months, so I don't want to go to the vet unless it's absolutely necessary/a serious health threat.

We have a 7 year old Chihuahua who has only been in the home for a year and the two get along very well and will get into a tussle about once or twice a day, but they've never hurt each other and have never actually get into legitimate fights, but I can't overrule them fighting and playing as a possible cause.  I read in a similar posting on CatSite that bruises/damage caused by other animals can cause this temporary condition, but saw nothing on PetMD or any other Vet website to indicate that was a possible cause.

He eats normal and is on a well-balanced regular diet so I would say given his age and diet that a deficiency is unlikely, but I'm not an expert. His bodily functions (judging by his litter box I just cleaned a minute ago) appear typical, he has been eating and drinking normally.  His disposition is almost I want to say better than normal - very high spirits.  Not displaying any signs of distress or pain.  No out of the ordinary meowing or atypical body language in the last 24 hours.

I've attached a picture of the current dilation also.

I'd really like to know what the expert advice of the forum is on this condition and at what point or after seeing what type of changes in behavior or physical appearance should I consider it an emergency situation where I would need to take him to the vet no matter what?

Thank you so much,

-T

Last edited by a moderator:

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all welcome to TCS.

I'm so sorry that you have concerns with your kitty.  I'm not sure what could be going on with him, but I would think something with the eye itself or neurological.  Only a vet would know for sure.

Please keep us posted.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. :wavey:

There are any number of things that can cause the unequal pupils. Neuropathy, high blood pressure, and diabetes are some that come to mind. Do both pupils react to light? If there are no other symptoms it's probably not an emergency, but you should definitely get him to a vet before it becomes an emergency.

What is your kitty's name? We'd love to see more pictures of him in the Fur Pictures forum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zamba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. His name is Zamba. I have pictures and I'll post them in that forum!This morning the right eye was still noticeably dilated compared to the left but he was again normal. He woke us up for breakfast and then ate his food like normal and patrolled around like he does every morning. Again nothing abnormal other than the dilation.We are going to call the vet this morning and see what they want to do. The main reason this freaks us out is because there are many possible causes it seems, and not so many of them, or any, are trivial. So although he may seem normal, as you said, it could be a number of dangerous underlying causes =o(

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad that you are going to speak with the vet today.  Please let us know how it goes.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any update on this kitty? Has he been to the vet? Some of the causes for this can be very serious so hopefully he is getting checked out. Please let us know something when you can!

hobo08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was hit in the head with a volleyball pretty hard and it caused enough trauma to make my eye dilate like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zamba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

We did go to the vet and they did the eye checkup with the fluid they use, phosphorus or whatever solution it is?  Not entirely sure.  And there were no abrasions or any issues with his eyes, they were in good condition.  So that was good.  Other than that, he was in perfect health.

The vet gave us two options - a $500 battery of blood work or wait it out a couple more days until this Saturday.

Given that his behavior and health seemed totally normal and high-spirited we decided to wait it out and I'm glad we did.

The next morning his eye was back to about 90% normal and I'm quite happy to announce that today, all day, his pupils were back to completely normal and basically symmetrical!

Looking at a picture I took of him when I woke up to him sleeping on my chest staring me in the face this morning waiting for food and a picture from day 1 of the pupil dilation problem, you can totally see that he is doing a lot better.  We pray it stays that way!

Thanks for all the responses and concern.  And as of now we are assuming it was likely a minor head trauma which would NOT be surprising since he spends pretty much the entire day either sleeping, eating, beating up a Chihuahua, or sprinting back and forth across the house knocking things over and then staring at us. LOL.

-T

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

We did go to the vet and they did the eye checkup with the fluid they use, phosphorus or whatever solution it is?  Not entirely sure.  And there were no abrasions or any issues with his eyes, they were in good condition.  So that was good.  Other than that, he was in perfect health.

The vet gave us two options - a $500 battery of blood work or wait it out a couple more days until this Saturday.

Given that his behavior and health seemed totally normal and high-spirited we decided to wait it out and I'm glad we did.

The next morning his eye was back to about 90% normal and I'm quite happy to announce that today, all day, his pupils were back to completely normal and basically symmetrical!

Looking at a picture I took of him when I woke up to him sleeping on my chest staring me in the face this morning waiting for food and a picture from day 1 of the pupil dilation problem, you can totally see that he is doing a lot better.  We pray it stays that way!

Thanks for all the responses and concern.  And as of now we are assuming it was likely a minor head trauma which would NOT be surprising since he spends pretty much the entire day either sleeping, eating, beating up a Chihuahua, or sprinting back and forth across the house knocking things over and then staring at us. LOL.

-T
I am so glad you are happy with your kitty's diagnosis and treatment!  It's also good to see you on TCS... Welcome!  I love to see new faces around the place
  A couple of years ago my older cat, Hoot, had one eye that was changing color and didn't look quite right.  The vet said it was probably normal because sometimes a senior cat's eyes will change color etc.  But that did not satisfy me and I went through all the tests etc. to try to find "something".  Well I found nothing.  But I was relieved anyway.  Hoot now has one yellow and one brown eye.  Genetics can sometimes play a role in something like this too.  It does sound like a bump on the head in your case.  That poor Chihuahua probably has it's paws full  LOL...

pipa7622

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there -

I am so glad that I stumbled across this site... I've been up half the night crying and panicking about what will happen to my little baby, Sasha.

We discovered that her left eye was extremely dialated but the right was not... I was sick to death with worry... tried calling my local vet today but no answer (what's the point of being on call!!!).  Anyway, she's about 13 yrs old so I know that she won't be in perfect health for ever... I was devastated thinking that something was seriously wrong...

I'm hopeful that it's possible it will resolve itself. 

I will still be seeking advice and will be taking her to the vet after the Bank Holiday weekend but for now she is quietly curled up in my lap and doesn't seem in any strife.

Fingers crossed that she will be ok for a few more years...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Welcome Pipa.  Lets hope this is something not so serious. As we saw in this thread, differently sized pupills may be relatively harmless.  But it is usually one of the classical alarming signals, so good you are taking her to a vet, as soon you can practically manage it.

Good luck!

pipa7622

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sad to say that I had to let my little girl go yesterday.  She had suffered a stroke and had lost the sight in one eye and was unable to eat properly.

It was a very difficult decision to make to let her go, but I felt that her quality of life was waning and it was time.

I will miss her for the rest of my days.

People who don't have pets just don't understand how devastated I am... or what it means to lose a friend like Sasha.  My heart is truly broken.

She had been my little sidekick for 14 yrs, following me from room to room and climbing in my lap the second I sat down... I have no doubt that my life is better because I knew her.

myboys15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sad to say that I had to let my little girl go yesterday.  She had suffered a stroke and had lost the sight in one eye and was unable to eat properly.

It was a very difficult decision to make to let her go, but I felt that her quality of life was waning and it was time.

People who don't have pets just don't understand how devastated I am... or what it means to lose a friend like Sasha.  My heart is truly broken.

She had been my little sidekick for 14 yrs, following me from room to room and climbing in my lap the second I sat down... I have no doubt that my life is better because I knew her.
I am so sorry for your loss. I made that difficult decision yesterday, myself.

You will always be Sasha mama and remember those memories of her being your sidekick. Just like my babies visit me in my dreams so that we can play again, Sasha will too.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We are so sorry you lost your cat. When you feel up to it, you might want to post a tribute in our Crossing the Bridge Forum. Then our members can offer support to you in this difficult time.

Last edited:

pookibear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My lil kitty boy, Pooki, also has been showing signs of this malady. The right eye dilated and the left eye constricted? I noticed it first about 2 days ago, but thought it was a trick of the light. Then last night I noticed it more clearly. This morning both eyes seem to be returning to normal. Although Pooki seems to be favoring his left eye. Here's a picture of my furrbaby.

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has that too! The vet didn't seem concerned, but he wasn't a very good vet in general. Said it might be from Toxoplasmosis.

alkali2010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 year old domestic short-hair, Cloud, is having the same conditions. I have the money for the vet and am running the whole panel of tests. Inflammation was found on the dorsal anterior area above his right eye. Was prescribed Teramycin ointment to apply to both eyes twice daily. FELV/Leukemia tests negative. Blood work and urinalysis within normal limits. Inter-ocular pressure 25-26, literally at the high borderline of 25. Behavior normal. Was given choice of wait one week while applying antibiotics, or go to feline ophthalmologist.  Have OPT appt scheduled for Friiday 2/26/16. Will upload pics and let you know what I find out. Hopefully this can be helpful for anyone else in the same situation.

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The foundling, Hades, has the same thing going on. I can't afford to take him to the vet yet, but it's now high on the list.

alkali2010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So typical cat stuff, my furball's right eye seems to be in better shape now. Potentially the antibiotics are working their magic. He's not tearing up as much and squinting like he was earlier. Still going to keep the opthamologist appointment. I'll let you guys know what I hear. Hope your Hades starts feeling better soon!

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I asked my new vet about it, she said it could also be from mild cataracts in one eye. If the light's not coming through one cornea as well as the other, that eye will be more dilated to let more light in.

My cat's also 13, hasn't had any tests relating to her eye, and has had uneven pupils for at least a year. She was on antibiotics for something else and it didn't change anything with her pupils, so I'm assuming it's not infection related.

Her pupils aren't as uneven as the original poster's picture, it's pretty mild and more noticeable in certain lighting.