Rhythmic Jerking?

adriane_d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried searching for the issue, but didn't really know what to call it! My cat, Purrcy, does this strange jerking thing - usually more pronounced when he's sleeping. It's not dreaming. He'll do it when awake as well. I've seen a few things online but I'm not exactly sure. I took a video, and of course once I started, the worst of it faded a little (isn't that always the way!).
Thoughts??

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd say "welcome to TCS" since this is your first post, but I see you've been a member since 2007. Purrcy is a cutie pie. So glad you decided to post your question, so we could see him.:catlove:

It's hard to tell in the video, but is he purring? My Ruby does that purring/breathing movements sometimes as she is falling asleep.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Goodness, those movements look a whole lot like spasms.

If it were me, just to be on the safe side, can you send that video in to your vet and see what they say?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's hard to tell but when Purrcy makes these jerking movements it almost looks like his breathing is affected. How often do you feel he makes these motions? I always say, "if in doubt check it out." :wink: If you have any questions or concerns contact your vet and please check back to keep us updated.

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looks to me like the involuntary jerks people can make when going to sleep, but I don't know how common that is in cats? Or what would be considered normal in them?

Edit: I was thinking of the ear movements. I watched the video again, and did notice the who body ones.

Wilhelmina's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to post a reply so long after your question. Although I don't have an answer Purrcy does a similar movement that Wilhelmina did when we first adopted each other the end of May 2018. I just realized it's been a few weeks since I've noticed her doing it when she is laying down, sleeping or not. It's as if all of her muscles slightly contract and then relax every 3-5 seconds. She never seemed to have it happen when she was active or sitting up and I could never catch it so it could be seen on video. How old is Purrcy and how long have you noticed the spasms?

She was preggers when we adopted each other, delivered 4 kittens 3rd of July (2 kittens, I told her 2 but she didn't listen). To spare the details, when the kittens were 2 days old I thought she may have pre-eclampsia and took her to the Vet Clinic. Her blood work showed no problems and the Vet said she was showing symptoms of nervous first time mother. He also recommended I give her milk replacement formula or kitten goop as a supplement, She and the kittens still get goop as a meal/treat every day. The doctor told me that the spasms _could_ be from not enough calcium although her blood work showed normal levels. While Purrcy doesn't have female issues where we live it has been so hot the air conditioning hasn't been able to keep up and we've had a bit of stress. And Wilhelmina is around 1 year old, she was left behind when an apartment building was sold and emptied for renovation the end of December 2017. I had seen her around but didn't know she was living mostly rough at the time. I wondered if she had survived a head injury. It will be at least a few weeks before another Vet visit for Wilhelmina and I will ask the Vet about it again.