Returning cat

maloos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

We have 2 female sister cats, both spayed and 1 male cat. (son of one of those sisters). Females are almost 2 years old and the male is 1 year old.

Our cats are allowed to go outside.

We had to change our home very quickly and couldn't "prepare" our cats for it well. Just brought them to the new house and locked them inside so that they don't escape and told everybody that the door must never be left open. After 6 days, someone accidentally left it open and the mother/son escaped. They came back after 30 mins. Seeing that we took it for granted that they have adopted to the new place and let 3 of them go outside. For 3-4 days they got used to the place. But the day after that the 3rd one vanished. (the one without any child)

One month later, I was around the preivous house and out of some slight feeling went to check the alleys around and I found our missing cat trying to tear up a garbage bag for food. She started mewing very loudly that people came out of their house to see what's going on, but she didn't come to me and kept her distance while I tried to approach her. This game took like 30 mins, until I found a piece of chicken in the garbage and got her to come close and grabbed her.

Brought her to a vet, redid all her shots, changed her anti-flea necklace. For the first week, she stayed inside and didn't even go near the door. After that she asked for outside and we insisted on keeping her for 2-3 more days then let her out. (She is a very vocal and loud annoying cat!)

She seemed to accept the new home and used to go outside and come back and we were happy she finally got used to her new place.

She stayed one month after she was found and then again, one evening vanished again. A week after, I went twice to the old place and she wasn't there. Today (which will be about one month after her leaving) my wife suggested to go check again and yep. She was on the roof of one of the roofs.

So I think my question is clear now. How do I get her to stay? If I take her to our new home, how to make sure she stays?

Our new house is about 20-25 minutes away from the previous one by human walk.

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like, despite her loud and annoying cry, she should be an inside only cat from now on.  If she insists on going back to the old place every time she's let out, sooner or later she is going to get into trouble on her journey back there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maloos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's been an inside/outside cat since she was born. Forcing her to stay inside won't be easy. Specially with her loud voice. (we always joke about she should sing opera with that solid loud voice)

Well we haven't taken her back yet, since we didn't want the same thing to happen again. Thanks for the reply :)