Retransition My Cats To Use The Litterbox Again

CindyMac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, it's kind of a long story. I've had these cats for 6 years - since they were born. They have been indoor/outdoor cats. Meaning, I let them freely come and go outside. For the most part, they stay inside. Or if they are outside, they stay very close to their window from which they exit and enter (I made a custom catwalk for them).

A little about them: they are two girls, they have always gotten along, they were spayed before 5 months of age. They are both very healthy - if not a little chubby - according to the vet. They've always been on a feeding schedule. There have so far been no dramatic changes.

Originally, they did everything inside: sleep, eat, drink, and potty. I had a few litter boxes for them to use and they did it just fine - no issues whatsoever. Over time however, they transitioned to using the restroom outside without my prompting. I didn't think it was such a big deal, I grew up raising my cats that way. They continued to eat and drink inside and sleep over night but potty was exclusively done outside. I knew this because they were no longer going inside the house. So I removed the unused litter boxes slowly after a while and things were great for YEARS.

However, I came home a few months ago and there was an accident in my room. I cleaned it up and blocked the area completely and brought back the litter boxes. However they have since continued to use the restroom all over my house, anywhere except the litter boxes. I used the litter they grew up with and have since tried the special litter with attractant. It had such raving reviews, I thought it would be the answer. I've tried feliway in case this was stress induced and have made sure to give them lots of love and attention when they wanted it everyday (and boy they want it every day!)

So, I am going to be moving soon and I'm afraid it will become more difficult to get these two litter trained again. I use large pans that are easy for them to enter and have placed them in their now favorite spots to go. They are uncovered. I've even tried confining them to a smaller area where they have very little options of going. But they rather go right by their food and water than in their litter box. I've tried this because people suggest the crate to train outdoor cats for the indoors.

I'm pretty much at my wits end. I'm sure this is a rare case but is it possible that anyone has had the same problems? Has anyone any suggestions? I don't know what else to try and now I am running out of time. I admit, maybe I made mistake in removing the unused litterboxes and many people will disagree with "outdoor" or "indoor/outdoor" cats but there is nothing to be done about that now. At this point, I am attempting to get them to being accustomed inside only and they don't seem to mind because they have usually preferred to be inside. I just though perhaps it was because of some changes outside - have no clue what but cats are finiky I guess.

Please help!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
put some dirt from outside in the litter boxes.. they are used to pooping in the dirt, it's best to have the box look, smell and feel like dirt.

additionally, put their poo in the boxes too, so they can smell it and know

give that a whirl

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would also, and I know this is icky, help to put a tiny bit of poop in each box, preferably from each cat. Yeah, I know, not fun, and you have to chase down the poop. But the smell will tell them "THIS IS THE SPOT" better than anything else.

selfiehabits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow your cats sound very stubborn. If you've tried putting poop in it and putting the litter box over the spot where they went don't work I'd just let them be outside lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CindyMac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! Thanks so much for the help. I didn't end up getting any dirt from outside. As they pooped out of the boxes - literally just outside of the boxes lol - I picked up their poop, placed it into their boxes (hoping there was one from each of the kitties), and I moved their litter boxes OVER the places they decided were nice spots and that seemed to work. After a few days of going in the litter boxes pretty consistently (an accident once), we moved them to the new place one at a time and they found their litter boxes quickly. It still had the old litter so I think it still had their smells in it. Finding their own smell seems to work! It was interesting because they were completely ignoring the third box but then I moved some of the droppings from one box into the third and now all three are in use.