retarded / deaf cat??

jazmynn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the other users, your kitten is just playful but DEFINATELY sounds like Jixer has an URI *Upper Respitory INfection*. My youngest kitten, Isis, just went through the same thing last week. We picked up her up (I say rescued because she was in a VERY poor environment) after we answered a free ad for kittens in the paper. When I picked her up, her eyes were matted shut and still leaking fluids. She was sneezing LOTS of green stuff out of her nose, had a slight fever, and when she COULD meow, it was very hoarse. So the silent meow is probably a result of a URI. Isis was put on amoxocillin last week (the bubble gum flavored antibiotic we were give as kids) and now you would never know she' was sick. If they eyes are very watery and leaking alot of fluid you will also be given a cream to put on/in the eyes.

I hope Jixer gets a clean bill of health otherwise!

crzy_cat_lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think he's just like my cat. Only my cat jumps into windows and trys to fly. But anywho he has what I like to call "Dutchess syndrome".

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd like to add my two cents here, too!

First of all, I do not belive that Jixer is deaf. I have two deaf cats, and the balance thing leads me to believe otherwise. I think it is possible that Jixer has an URI as well as an ear infection. An ear infection is common at the Humane Society I volunteer for. An ear infection could alter the balance of a cat. The one of 3 of my cats that meows silently is the hearing one, the two deaf one can curdle your blood with one meow.

It wouldn't hurt to raise concerns over the possibility of Jixer being deaf, or maybe his eyesight isn't good(that could cause him to crash into walls).

Good Luck at the vet tomorrow! Let us know what s/he says.

jazmynn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also don't forget that kittens untill about 3 months or older don't have eyesight that is as well developed as older cats! As for being deaf, maybe it's selective hearing? My fiance has that problem too XD However an ear infection is definately possible! keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misterjerry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG.. im so worried rite now.... okay i was holding Jixer ( the new cat... he is real tiny! ) and i was just standing there.. when Jerry was around my feet... they saw each other and Jixer started growling at Jerry!!! Jerry was just meowing like normal but Jixer was growling as if he was mad? i kept them a good distance between each other.. but anyways.. do you guys know what that means?? doesn't seem like the new cat Jixer likes Jerry... and early, my boyfriend was holding Jerry.. when I was holding Jixer at the same time trying to see what happenes.. Jerry was really really really scared and he was meowing like crazy as if he was crying...
while Jixer growling at him...

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not about 'liking' each other. When a cat is sick or hurt, it can trigger an instinct in other cats to want to kill the weak one, and that's likely what happened, so it's really important to keep them separate for now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misterjerry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!! i just got back from the vet with Jixer... he has a fever! 103.6 degrees.. and the vet gave him 2 shots.. one is Dexamethasone and one is Penicillin.. I'm not sure what good they do.. but the vet just injected those 2 for him.. i honestly couldn't really understand what the vet was saying.. he had the heaviest heaviest accent!! anyways... he gave me a bottle of Amoxicillin... im suppose to feed him twice a day.. i'll bring him back next week and see if he'll be better by then! well that's all for the updates.. do you guys know what the shots are for? and the liquid medicine as well..? thanks! have a nice day!!!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The penicillin is an antibiotic. THe fever indicates he has an infection, and it is probably an upper respiratory infection by what you have described. I am not sure what the Dexamethasone is for. If you did not understand the vet, you could ask him to write things down, it would help reduce miscommunication - especially with instructions.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dexamethasone is an adrenocortical steroid. Probably to help the infection clear.

How sad for your kitten with a fever, hope he feels better very soon!