Resuming raw.

maraozza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 My kitty is taking medication for his diarrhea and I temporarily withdrew raw from his diet.

Yesterday, he had his first solid poo after one week of having an upset tummy. He has to take antibiotics until Friday.

So when do you think it’s O.K. to restart his raw meals?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was it the raw that caused the problem? I ask because giving a medication and changing the diet makes it hard to know what actually helped solve the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maraozza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
     No, it wasn't the raw, that started the problem.

The problems started after he came back home from a boarding facility. He stayed there for 3 days and was eating only canned food and some treats. All food was provided by us. Unfortunately among the treats were recalled Evo ones. So now, we don't know, if it's something he got from there or if it's salmonella from the tainted treats. But after eating some raw meat at home(he eats both, wet and raw), his condition escalated and he had blood in his stools. This may, of course, be a coincidence. We took a stool sample for culture to the vet to see if it has any salmonella in it. The results will be back in a few days. Untill then, I don't feel comfortable about feeding him any raw.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a raw feeder through and through, so I might be a "suspect" here.
Given that raw was not what started the problem, it was most likely the salmonella tainted food..... Raw would not be what I would take away from the diet.
I went through a LOOOOOOONG transition from kibble to raw with one of my girls, and whenever she would go back to kibbles I was uncomfortable. I am far more comfortable with feeding raw than any other food - wet or dry.
Mine have gone though medications without any issues, So to me, the answer is as soon as you as ready...... IMHO the kitty already is, will always be ready for raw, and raw will not be damaging.
We tend to be scared of raw meat because it is raw, not realizing how much bacteria is on commercial food..... Dry food is loaded with bacteria, but it is also within our comfort level so we don't really think about it :dk:
If you are scared, give the kitty a good probiotic..... But IMHO Raw is the safest route. :2cts:

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
     No, it wasn't the raw, that started the problem.

The problems started after he came back home from a boarding facility. He stayed there for 3 days and was eating only canned food and some treats. All food was provided by us. Unfortunately among the treats were recalled Evo ones. So now, we don't know, if it's something he got from there or if it's salmonella from the tainted treats. But after eating some raw meat at home(he eats both, wet and raw), his condition escalated and he had blood in his stools. This may, of course, be a coincidence. We took a stool sample for culture to the vet to see if it has any salmonella in it. The results will be back in a few days. Untill then, I don't feel comfortable about feeding him any raw.
They will probably find salmonella in the stool sample....it is usually there no matter what you are feeding.  My cats went through a bag of the recalled EVO treats, and then another 1/3 bag before I was aware of the recall.  It has been 3 days now....with no symptoms.  I'm assuming if they were going to have a reaction, I would have seen it by now.  Since you are pretty sure the raw diet didn't cause the problem....and it is probably easier on the stomach since you have a history with raw....I would just go back to the raw.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maraozza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
    Thank you very much for your replies and reassurance.

I am going to call the vet office tomorrow, to ask about the stool results. Meanwhile, we’ll start with N.V Raw Chickens medallions for a couple of days to see how he does on raw.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
    Thank you very much for your replies and reassurance.
 I am going to call the vet office tomorrow, to ask about the stool results. Meanwhile, we’ll start with N.V Raw Chickens medallions for a couple of days to see how he does on raw.
If you feed Nature's Variety, you should really not be concerned with Salmonella (from the NV RAW), as it goes through High pressure processing, making it pathogen-free......