Resume

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

I love that because it doesn't mention line of work
I use it for everything! Its really good (IMO) and all purpose and makes you look driven!

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for your objective, I would have one resume saved with a generic line like Brandi gave you, that you can have on hand at all times to give out. But when you find a specific job to apply for, tailor your objective for that job.

Examples I was given for nursing:

Generic: To obtain a full time position in the field of nursing.

Tailored: To obtain a full time nursing position in the field of Obstetrics,
To obtain a full time nursing position in the field of Pediatrics, etc

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arg, im in the process of updating mine, in English and German and i tell ya! Its a pain in the butt

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just changed careers after 20<mumble> years in banking. They held a 4 day seminar on resume writing for us.

Resumes now need to be quantified. Its wonderful to say Trained employees...but WHAT did you train them on? How MANY did you train? What was the RESULTS? For example, one of my Trained employees read "•Trained staff of 4 resulting in promotion of 3 to supervisory level within 6 months."

List everything in quick precise bullet points under each job title.
So your resume would read:

Bank Name Oct 1999 - Oct 2006
Bank Address
Bank COMMERCIAL (ie: Second largest savings bank in state)
Assistant Manager, December 2002-October 2006
* Maintained branch in complaince with all bank policies earning an average score of 97% which is above the bank requirement of 85%
* Ensured and promoted franchise growth of 47% through excellent sales leadership and team sales coaching while increasing personal sales.
* Trained all new employees in operations, product knowlendge and customer service, reducing company overturn of 4% to 2%.

In other words BRAG ABOUT YOURSELF USING NUMBERS THAT CAN PROVE HOW GREAT YOU ARE!!
(I pulled those numbers out of the air...you'll have to provide your own numbers)
Don't worry about listing majors and minors from college unless you plan to actually use them. Just list the graduation year. They don't need to know it took 4 or 6 or 12 yrs to graduate. All the recruiter wants to know is that you graduated!

Have several resumes with different details. I have a resume if I want to go back into banking, a resume for my acting career and a resume for generic job descriptions. My objective changes with the details in the resume. Don't leave your objective generic. Know what you want and go for it on every thing you hand to the recruiter!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just want a 9-5 job even if it is boring.
You don't mention what field you are looking, how old you are, or if this is something that will be your lifetime career, or something temporary....so you can take this or leave this as you see fit.

I watched my father work for the same company for 32 years (you know...that large chemical company that rhymes with "cow".) He was miserable. He hated his job. Life, for my sister and I growing up, was absolutely awful because he was so miserable and took it out on family. Once he retired, he's turned into a very pleasant individual, who actually enjoys life.
I always said that I never wanted to be like my father...stuck in a job that I hated. I have to admit that it took several tries (and three different degrees)
but I love what I'm doing now. I honestly believe that God guided me into my career. I look forward to each day at work. I feel fulfilled and rewarded by my accomplishments. Keep looking for something that will make a difference in your life....even if it means going back to school. If you settle for boring, you will probably be doing the resume/cover letter thing again fairly soon!

Good luck!

Pookie & the girls

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

You don't mention what field you are looking, how old you are, or if this is something that will be your lifetime career, or something temporary....so you can take this or leave this as you see fit.

I watched my father work for the same company for 32 years (you know...that large chemical company that rhymes with "cow".) He was miserable. He hated his job. Life, for my sister and I growing up, was absolutely awful because he was so miserable and took it out on family. Once he retired, he's turned into a very pleasant individual, who actually enjoys life.
I always said that I never wanted to be like my father...stuck in a job that I hated. I have to admit that it took several tries (and three different degrees)
but I love what I'm doing now. I honestly believe that God guided me into my career. I look forward to each day at work. I feel fulfilled and rewarded by my accomplishments. Keep looking for something that will make a difference in your life....even if it means going back to school. If you settle for boring, you will probably be doing the resume/cover letter thing again fairly soon!

Good luck!

Pookie & the girls
That is the point. I have no idea. I went to college for Biology & wanted to be a lab tech. My intern jobs were never in this area so I had no experience when I graduated. No one would hire me, plus I don't drive so that limited me.

I spent the last 7 years working in banking which I thought I would never like and really didn't the last year.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Natalie,
How important is a cover letter?
Well, I won't even look at a resume that doesn't have a cover letter. To me, it shows no effort in actually specifically targetting that job. Any schmoe can do up a resume. Also, a cover letter shows how you are with grammar, spelling, sentence structure...etc...

Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Ooooh, looks like I'm going to be calling you!
My pleasure to help hun!