Rest sweet Shadow

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Shadow passed away last week from a URI infection turned to pneumonia, Feb 21, she was 14, she would have been 15 in May. She was one of an accidental litter of two of my cats who have since passed away as well, so I had her since she was born. I still have the other 3 girls, they are still all working on getting over the cold but are doing ok, and for the most part still acting normal.

Shadow.jpg

I'm not sure where it came from (all my cats are inside in the winter) but an URI is going around my cats, most are doing ok, but for some reason Shadow got sicker then the others. What has just been a pretty much just a cold for the other cats turned to pneumonia for Shadow and that proved to be too much for her to overcome. I can't help but feel if I had gotten her to the vet sooner she would still be here. My husband and I were/are dealing with some sort of a bad cold/flu ourselves (stay home from work and sleep most of the day level sick), so I feel like I failed her by waiting too long, not realized how bad it really was until it was too late because I was so sick myself. I really thought she just needed some more rest like I did and she would pull through.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don’t blame yourself. We all go through the second-guessing when our darlings die - did I leave it too long, should I have gone to the vet earlier, did I euthanise them too soon/too late, why didn’t I know. On top of all that, you and your husband were ill and couldn’t do anything about it.

Shadow is beautiful. She’s across the rainbow bridge now, exploring with all the beloved cats who’ve crossed over.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, beautiful Shadow is at peace because she has your love in her heart. These questions and feelings of guilt ALWAYS come up when we lose a loved one, it is a part of grieving. You did the best you could with what you had. There are so many times that the best care in the world still can't save the ones we love, and no one knows why.......
It takes time and a lot of it to get our minds to a better place. Grief tears your world apart and will rule you if you let it. The past is done, there is nothing you can do to change the past with all its should haves, and could haves. they bring nothing but heartache. Shadow's love is bound to your own and can never be taken from you. Nothing can break the ties of love because they are spiritual and so eternal. she will always be a part of your soul, always as close as your thoughts and prayers. She thanks you for giving her what she wanted most in this world, your love and the love of a wonderful family. The huge hole that is present in your life right now will eventually fill up with more love and time. But you will always feel a pang of sorrow when you think of her because you miss her so very much.
She shared your life's journey for a while, and now her new journey continues in another place and time. But it will always parallel your own for as long as you live. In times like these I always think of the quote...."do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened".
My heart cries for your pain, I can empathize with your loss.
Your love for that sweet girl is as unique as a snowflake, only you will ever know and understand the depth of your love. No one else will ever love her as you do, and she loves you equally as much. And she always will.......RIP beautiful Shadow. You will always be remembered, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Shadow, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Oh my dear, please do not blame yourself for this. Rather, know that you gave her a wonderful life for almost 15 years! Shadow lived, breathed, and had her being surrounded by your love. Now, from her home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, she realizes how ill you were, yourself. She does not "forgive' you, because she knows that there is nothing to forgive you for. You did everything you could in that moment. And she sends her love, translated and purified into Love, back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
You’ve already taught me a lot just by posting this, as I’ve never had a cat w/ a URI and had to look it up. So thank you. Please don’t blame yourself— it is so hard when you have a flu to “be there” in the way you need to be for all your cats. I am sure you did your utmost. At least now you know what it is, how to treat it and can be there -in honor of your dear Shadow- for all your other kitties.