Respect - It's one of the rules here

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I have done this.
Me too. I highly recommend it. Also, I always remember this is just the internet. And in general people mean well, even if it doesn't always come out well, it is oftentimes hard to convey true meaning in this plain flat medium.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

As members you all play a huge role in this.

1. If you see a post in any forum that is rude, uncalled for, offensive, foul, whatever please report the post. It's the exclamation point in the triangle at the top of every post. It gives you a place to say why you're reporting it, which can be one sentence or phrase or the whole post. Every mod sees these - it will be looked at straightaway!
  2. If the post is directed at you, please do not respond. That will only escalate the situation.
  3. If there is a particular person that just gets your goat or seems to argue with you even if the topic is the color of the sky, put them on Ignore. There are plenty of other people who post here.
I have only had two poster's so far that I would have wanted to put on ignore, but both no longer post here. Question: How do you put someone on ignore? I wouldn't have known how to do this.
Thanks, Lauren

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zohdee

I am about ready to leave. Some of the people around here are darn right rude. I ask a question, don't tell me to google it. I have, and I want others opinions. But that same person can start many threads of no use to me but I don't tell them to "google" it.
I didn't see your thread but I don't see anything bad in telling someone to google for an answer,google is my friend,I use it alot and if I want to know something or someone (not on here) asks me something I do tend to "google it". Like I said I did not see your thread so cannot comment too much.I have posted replies in threads before when I have not known much about the particular subject and I have suggested google,I didn't know that would upset someone.x

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

I didn't see your thread but I don't see anything bad in telling someone to google for an answer,google is my friend,I use it alot and if I want to know something or someone (not on here) asks me something I do tend to "google it". Like I said I did not see your thread so cannot comment too much.I have posted replies in threads before when I have not known much about the particular subject and I have suggested google,I didn't know that would upset someone.x
Sometimes just putting a smiley face helps too.
Or try to imagine it there if the poster forgot.
Just like you might deal with the real world, and that includes coping with the occasional misunderstanding or even the odd poorly chosen words.I personally tend to only find things rude for the most part if the person seems to be deliberately and consistently taking it upon themselves to treat my respect and politeness like a doormat.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by elayman

Sometimes just putting a smiley face helps too.
Or try to imagine it there if the poster forgot.
Just like you might deal with the real world, and that includes coping with the occasional misunderstanding or even the odd poorly chosen words.I personally tend to only find things rude for the most part if the person seems to be deliberately and consistently taking it upon themselves to treat my respect and politeness like a doormat.
I do this a LOT! I find t is good to use smileys to help portray emotions, and they just seem to add a friendlier tone all the way around.

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to read and sometimes participate on the Petfinder forums since they are rescue related but I've been very disturbed by the attitude of some posters and the way they treated others. There would be groups of posters that would join in and rip some poor person to pieces. As a result a lot of members left and animals that could have been helped aren't because members are scared away or too scared to ask questions out of fear of being bashed. I would be really sad if this site became like that.
It would be great if each person would stop and think about what they are trying to achieve before they post a message. If you're trying to convey a message it's not going to be received if you present it rudely.

Treat others the way you want to be treated - that's a good motto to live by.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

I do this a LOT! I find t is good to use smileys to help portray emotions, and they just seem to add a friendlier tone all the way around.
I LOVE
the smiley icons and use them alot in my postings. They are fun
silly
and do help express your emotions in your postings

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ziggy'smom

I agree.
BUT what if the person is just plain "too sensitive"? Once I posted something that irritated a member (based on her reply to my post). I PM'd her to apologize. She PM'd back very rudely. Sheesh...

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ziggy'sMom

Unless you're someone that enjoys moshpits, whips, or are named Brock Lesnar, in which case, treat others more sensitively than you want to be treated.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

I agree.
BUT what if the person is just plain "too sensitive"? Once I posted something that irritated a member (based on her reply to my post). I PM'd her to apologize. She PM'd back very rudely. Sheesh...
If that's the case, then you've done all you can do, and it's not your fault. All you can do is hit delete, and move on - there's plenty more awesome people out there

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

I agree.
BUT what if the person is just plain "too sensitive"? Once I posted something that irritated a member (based on her reply to my post)
I remember one time I posted a reply years ago concerned about a question asked about outdoor cats on a post of yours and you sent me a police car saying thanks for being concerned about my cats. It cracked me up!