Resident kitten keeping playing too rough with new kitten

fi wilson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone if you guys could give me any advice on this that would be wonderful!

Okay so we currently have a 9 week old kitten Rosie, she's been with us for just over a week, yesterday we brought home Ylfa a 7 week old kitten, both little ones are female. After Ylfa had settled and explored the room for a while we fed each kitten on either side of a closed door, this seemed to go okay once finished eating the both seemed curious as to what was on the other side. We then put Ylfa back in her carrier (she was quite happy about this busy cleaning herself after chowing down) and let Rosie into the room. 

All seemed fine at first with Rosie showing a bit more interest in who this new comer was, then she started pawing through the gate to the carrie...like play but I wasn't sure, Ylfa wasn't too bothered but moved away out of reach, Rosie then started Stalking around the carrier. We then decided that was enough for now and my partner and I took each into separate rooms. 

The rest of the day continued as, we would let them into the same room together for a while then separate them this has been going on for two days now. 

The problem is that whenever Rosie see's Ylfa she stalks her, chases her, paws, bites and tries to play fight with her. Always ending in her pinning her down and being far too rough with biting the back of her neck and such. Ylfa tries to fight back but her play is much more gentle and she always cries out when it gets too much but Rosie doesn't stop unless we intervene. 

Is this normal?

Should we just let them play and figure out what is too rough, will Rosie realise eventually when it's getting too much?

bessismybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Huh... It definitely sounds like they are playing. I'd let them do their thing but keep an eye on them. Sounds like one is trying to dominate the other.