Resident Cat Yowling At New Kitten

loyjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

I will try to write my story and question as much as short I can. Me and my husband adopted a new male kitten (4 mo) 10 days ago. We already have a neutered 1.5 yo male cat and we prepared everything for the introduction (seperate room, scent swapping, food time through the fence). Our new kitten flew from Spain to the Netherlands from a shelter and he looked very healthy in his pictures and he had his shots. When I picked him up I saw a little hair loss on his eyebrows, took him to the vet and they said he had allergy and did him an allergy shot. Between the room swappings and introductions, everything went smooth and we introduced our cats. Whenever there was a bit of fight we seperated them since our resident cat is chubby and bigger than the new kitty we wanted to take it slow. Whenever we put the new kitten in his room we found out he was scratching himself and creating new wounds until we had to take him to the emergency vet who could not diagnose which parasite he had and sent us home with 2 different parasite drops. Of course all of the family and friends had a lot of opinions about his wounds being scabbies or ringworm. Currently we are keeping the new kitten quarantined in the room. My question is our resident cat keeps meowing and yowling at his door with prrrouww sounds in between. Is it for wanting the new kitten out from the room so he can get there or wanting his attention? Does he wants to play with him? Does he wants to see him again? We are not going to introduce them again until we know our new kitten is healthy. We just can’t figure out why all of a sudden our cat is so vocal.
All answers will make us very happy!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
First, there is a shut door, which most cats just hate. Then there is the odor of the new kitten and maybe some noises coming from this locked room. So, he is meowing because he is a little annoyed and a little curious. Wanting to get in doesn’t mean he necessarily is excited to play with his new roommate but he does want to check him out. But you are doing the right thing waiting for an all clear on the kitten.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Seconding what susanm9006 susanm9006 has said. He's curious, but you are doing exactly the right thing here. When the kitten is proven healthy once and for all, start the introduction over again, just for safety's sake!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loyjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 susanm9006 susanm9006
Thank you so much for your replies! We were just too naive thinking he might be missing his new friend :biggrin:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He probably is, a bit...but this, too, shall pass! At least they are having interesting conversations while the kitten gets all healthy and sassy!