Resident Cat Upset With New Kitten

katherynek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got our kitten when he was 8 weeks old. We followed the recommended introduction procedure (separate rooms, scent swapping, room swapping, short observed meetings, etc) for about a week-2 weeks. Our resident cat, Remy, was not in the slightest bit irritated by his "new brother", Galileo. They play fought and Remy groomed him. They weren't nessecarily cuddling up together but there was no hissing, moaning, or injuries. Well now our Kitten is 5 months old and our resident cat has suddenly decided he hates him. Galileo will walk 6 feet away from him, making no eye contact and Remy with make crazy cat noises paired with moaning and hissing. Sometimes even charging at him (no real physical harm has been yet though. It's seemingly more symbolic). Sooo what the heck happened? Our kitten can be obnoxious, for example playing with Remy's tail which he hates being touched, but he was doing that in the beginning. Should I reintroduce them now two months later or should I let them work out their relationship, taking into consideration Galileo isn't being injured and doesn't seem scared of him - he's actually a pretty confident little dude.
Some extra things I've done to ease tension as well:
- Sensry calming collars
- Diffuser with lavender essential oil
- Giving them breaks by putting one into a separate room for 2-4 hours when things are tense
- Each have their own litter box (they use eachothers anyways)
- Play with them
- Feed them a combination of Wellness dry and wet food next to each other
- Give them treats
- Have more than one cat tree
- Both of them are neutered
- I've even tried to get Remy high on catnip to see if he would calm down! Hahah it doesn't affect him at all though

What should I do?!
TIA

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd just watch things carefully for now. The new kitten has reached that "obnoxious teenager" stage, and Remy may well just be teaching him a few manners. The most telling things that you said are that there is no blood drawn, Remy doesn't persist when the kitten backs off, and that Galileo is not at all afraid of Remy. LOL...as a very well-respected British cat behaviorist once said, "Sometimes a cat's gotta say what a cat's gotta say" (paraphrased). If the situation escalates or continues at a high level for some time yet, then consider a re-introduction.

flamesabers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Other then their "fights", do the two of them seem to tolerate each other? (i.e. they don't have any issues eating next to each other, and neither of them are marking his own territory?) If so, it's possible Remy might just be reminding Galileo that he's the resident cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katherynek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They eat next to eachother, use eachothers litter boxes without marking the house or anything, and even sleep on the same bed with us (although they don't cuddle!) Sorry for the late response. I did not get a notification!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not a problem. They are still working on the occasional glitch with the new hosts. I've found the easiest way for me to check my "watched threads" is to click on my name at the upper right of the screen, click again. That will take you to your "personal details" page. Click on "watched threads" in the left-hand sidebar. Then select a thread. Rinse, repeat. It's faster for me now than opening an email, clicking on it and going from there.

flamesabers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They eat next to eachother, use eachothers litter boxes without marking the house or anything, and even sleep on the same bed with us (although they don't cuddle!) Sorry for the late response. I did not get a notification!
It sounds like your two cats have accepted each other in regards to sharing the same areas. I wonder if the fights are a result of Galileo still being in the kitten phase along with their need to show each other who's the boss?

So long as the fights don't become more serious or more frequent, I don't think there is anything you need to do as of now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katherynek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news! Caught them laying next to each other on a pile of laundry. I wouldn't say it was cuddling quite yet but still very sweet!

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like you are now on the way to a peaceful (most of the time) household! Best news today!