Resident cat stressed out over new kitten

kittygrant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a year old resident cat - Kitty, who is more of a independent one. About a month and a half ago, I brought home a 10 week old kitten - Clyde, who is very sweet and rambunctious! I started them out in separate areas of the house and introduced them slowly. All seemed well so I let Clyde out into the rest of the home. He is constantly trying to play with Kitty, which is normal, but she wants nothing to do with it! He also will not leave her alone to potty or eat. I have more than one litter box set up around the house but when Kitty is using the bathroom, Clyde attacks her in the box. Same goes with eating and drinking. Kitty is extremely stressed out - not eating or drinking, not acting herself at all and having bad stomach issues and diarrhea. She is on medicine to help her stomach, but I'm so worried for Kitty. She comes first.

Any suggestions on what to do? Do I rehome the kitten for the sake of my other cats health and happiness? So stressed out! I love them both, but Kitty was first in the home.

Thanks in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittygrant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We play with him everyday and we always have toys around for him and a scratch post.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say play with him even more! 20-30 minute play sessions that totally tire him out. Toys like da bird will really wipe him out.

Beyond that, make sure that kitty has places to get away from him. Maybe shelves that he doesn't get up to, or a little house. She needs some help reestablishing her territory.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittygrant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could this behavior be that Clyde isn't fixed yet? He is maybe acting out just from energy and the flow of testosterone - Maybe he will calm down and not bother Kitty, who is a girl, so much after neutered.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He shouldn't have much in the way of testosterone going on yet, although he should be neutered soon. It sounds like normal kitten behavior, but he needs more of an outlet for it.