Resident Cat Problem.

wildog47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. So I've been slowly introducing my 2 cats. They are at the point now where they are fed together, get treats together and will sniff eachother (sometimes without hissing too). And mostly jsut ignore each other . However I've started trying to have new cat eat out of her room in the common room with resident cat. While they are eating they are fine. Once they are done resident cat does NOT allow new cat to stay there. She stalk (low to the ground eyes dialated and ears back) the new cat back into her room. It's like she's allowed and accepted the new cat in that room only. How can I teach her to let the cat out and about? Should I just continue feeding in new cats ground till she accepts? It will be 3 weeks as of Wednesday.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried site swapping?

Another tool in introduction is to take the favorite bed/tree of each cat and put it in the other cats area. Then alternate days where you switch their areas. So if your resident cat usually has the whole house, put the resident in the room where the new cat is. While the resident is in the room the new cat will have the whole house. By switching their territories you are expanding the boundaries of what is "mine". With the individual items in the new space you are giving the cat a scent marker to identify that it is safe. It also serves to further associate the cats to each other and their scents.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Three weeks is no time at all in cat introduction terms. It sounds like things are going extremely well so far, but that you're maybe rushing a little with the barrier-free feedings. I'd go back a stage for now, as your resident cat clearly isn't comfortable with more just now.

Kieka Kieka 's suggestion of site swapping is a great one :D Another trick is give both cats (but especially your resident cat) a play session before the joint feeding. This will allow them to work of any stresses any excess energy in a positive way, making stalking or other territorial aggression less likely.
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

Stay patient and give them all the time they need. Time spent introducing cats is never time wasted ;)