Resident Cat Not Adjusting To Kittens

Skylsters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, ive recently taken in 5 kittens they all have homes they will go to in anout a week or so. We are planning on keeping ine but i do have a 5 year old male cat and since he was 8 weeks old hes never been around another cat and the change has been rough on him. If they get close to him he hisses and growls and runs away. Hes even starting to hiss and growl and his human family. It doesnt seem like he wants to hurt them, he is very curious but since he runs away its almost like hes scared of them. Is tgere anything i can do to help him with the change and to accept a new kitten in the house? Has anyone tried Feliway diffuser?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - sounds like you've got your hands full LOL :heartshape:

There have been members who've used Feliway with good results and some that saw zero effect.

Let me list some of the other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryptophan and casein.

There is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure treat is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo. Australia's Petbarn has Vitarapid treats.

There are a couple of recent discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?

Also take a look at these; Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
You, Your Cat And Stress

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you don't any of the recommended introduction steps or did you just put cat and kittens together?

If you really are getting rid of most of the kittens shortly, I would keep them all separated until then. Then start a slow introduction with the kitten you are keeping. From what I have gleaned from TCS, adult cats usually are pretty quick to accept little kittens. Hissing is more of a defensive action than aggression. You resident cat is probably confused and freaked out by all the little puff-balls running around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skylsters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you don't any of the recommended introduction steps or did you just put cat and kittens together?

If you really are getting rid of most of the kittens shortly, I would keep them all separated until then. Then start a slow introduction with the kitten you are keeping. From what I have gleaned from TCS, adult cats usually are pretty quick to accept little kittens. Hissing is more of a defensive action than aggression. You resident cat is probably confused and freaked out by all the little puff-balls running around.
There is no way to keep them separated, they are 7 weeks old and running around, they sleep in a dog crate but otherwise have free reign of the down stairs, only our cat is allowed up stairs. We did start off slowly when we first introduced him he only saw them from afar and still hissed and growled. He likes to watch them but wants a 5 foot bubble around him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skylsters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Th
Hi - sounds like you've got your hands full LOL :heartshape:

There have been members who've used Feliway with good results and some that saw zero effect.

Let me list some of the other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryptophan and casein.

There is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure treat is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo. Australia's Petbarn has Vitarapid treats.

There are a couple of recent discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?

Also take a look at these; Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
You, Your Cat And Stress
Thank you, ill look into it.