FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_2539.JPG
IMG_2506.JPG
IMG_2546.JPG
IMG_2515.JPG
My cat Julio is a one-year-old playful, peaceful and cuddly, neutered kitty, and the new kitten is a 6 week-old female. I took her in two days ago, but to say Julio hates her is an understatement. He doesn't hiss at her, but he growls like a dog anytime he sees or smells her, the poor thing is terrified. Now, I read a lot of articles about this and I know what to do, I keep them separate, and manely because he spends more and more time outside, it feels like he only wanders in the house to check if the "intruder" is still there and it happens less and less often. I am afraid he will eventually stop checking and just go away and my heart breaks. I have currently practically incarcerated him in my bedroom, he was trying to get out for a while but then he fell asleep. He resents me, he never gets violent with me, but won't play or let me pet him and cries when I try to do so. I am thinking about giving the kitten back because this is causing him too much stress.
The blanket thing isn't working cause he won't get anywhere near anything that has her scent on it, and starts meowing as soon as he smells it. Won't even jump on the bed he just lingers on the boxes in the bedroom. She is this cute little angel and I am so sorry things aren't working out. Did anyone else have their cat leave and not come back or do they get to accept the "intruder"? I don't know what to do.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Two days is nothing when it comes to introducing cats; that can take weeks, months, or even years, though it will probably be much quicker with kittens. In other words, it's too soon to worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, take it much slower. Have you tried Feliway to calm him down?
No, i have not. I live in Spain i don't know what the equivalent is, but it seems that today we made progress. I let them together in the salon, and he didn't growl, he watched her from distance while she played with a kitten toy, didn't throw his ears back like he used to, and at one point played with her tail for 2 seconds. I had him imprisoned all night in my bedroom, and around morning I found him on the bed near my feet. I am aware they might not become best buds and that getting to tolerate her will take time, but I was only afraid that he feels betrayed and would go away and not come back. But he spent very little time outside today.

FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two days is nothing when it comes to introducing cats; that can take weeks, months, or even years, though it will probably be much quicker with kittens. In other words, it's too soon to worry.
Yes, I realise that now, he doesn't seem to be wanting to run away any more and resents me a little less, he even purred when I pet him today.

FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's Feliway. You can get it online from Zooplus.
I was going to ask the vet, but it seems that they are starting to get along. Julio is still a little jealous, but they spent last two days playing and sleeping in the same room. Not on the same piece of furniture, but still. No more growling or roaring, so that's good. It's been less than a week

FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_2645.JPG
IMG_2592.JPG
So, an update: they have become best friends :) Julio accepted the new kitten, and it really didn't take him very long, after less than a week they were playing together (on the fourth day). At first he wouldn't go anywhere near her scent, would growl and cry, wanted out all the time, but once he saw her play something changed. For a couple of days he would only be friendly when he saw her play, but slowly he stopped avoiding places with her scent, then one morning I found them on the bed together. A couple of days ago I saw them bathe each other, and today she tried nursing (as she is now less than 7 weeks old, she was rescued from a forest). He sometimes gets annoyed by her because she wants to play at all times, and follows him around wherever he goes.

When I realised he was jealous and hurt (which was right away) I started paying extra attention to him, would pet him and praise him and play with him all the time, so he would know he's mama's favourite boy, and my daughter payed attention to the little one. I still do that, make him feel loved and cared for, never ever scold him (didn't do that before the kitten came either), I am really showing him so much love and affection. Until a couple of days ago I would only go near the little one when he wasn't around and would wash my hands right afterwards so he wouldn't be repelled. Now I play with her in front of him and he doesn't care. (She still preferres my daughter, but that's ok). It's been less than 2 weeks since she first came home.