Resident Cat Chasing, Hissing When Kitten Runs

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am in the process of cat introductions. So far, the big cat LK and the little cat Ruby have had scent swapping, visual contact, treats and play on either side of the gate. All of this is totally fine.

However, the kitten has escaped the gate a couple of times. If she just walks around and plays, LK is happy. But the second Ruby starts to run, LK chases her, corners her somewhere, and hisses at her. At which point I catch the kitten (who seems a little scared/offended but not super upset) and send her back to purgatory. I always wait a few minutes and then have a happier session with toys & gate separation, so that the last thing in LK’s brain related to Ruby is happiness. Other than these sessions they are apart.

I’m a little confused about how to proceed since I can control a lot of things but I can’t make Ruby not run. I can guess why LK chases, corners, and hisses at her (prey drive; dominance; etc) but I can’t figure out how to work around it. Otherwise they are happy but this is a big roadblock.

Any ideas? Thanks all :)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about letting it be? You can't teach her not to run, but maybe LK can teach her to behave around him. At least a little. Or maybe he will learn to deal with it a little better. A little hissing is nothing special after all. Kittens bounce, emotionally as well as physically, as long as he doesn't hurt her, he'll be forgiven immediately yeah?

I know you are very experienced, but when it is your own, sometimes it is hard to let them be, yeah? But I think sometimes we have to let them try and work through things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A ArtNJ
Thanks! I wish I had experience with this—when I was a kid we just threw them together and called it good

Ronboof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have just been through this and we just left them to their own devices. Our older boy wanted to know what this little intruder was up to and wasnt happy about his presence. I basically watched them whenever they were together (luckily Im on holidays from work atm), ready to break up any physical altercation but it never happened! Older boy was mad, hissy and growly for like 4 days but now they'll play and groom each other.
So long as the adult isnt beating up the little one I wouldnt intervene, LK will just want to assert dominance, most likely.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes, you have to let it be as long as there is no real injury or fighting. I am on my third month of "letting it be" after introducing two new kittens to two old grumpy cats. they all sleep together fine, but when the little ones get in the big guys faces there is still hissing and a little swatting. still causes me to cringe, but i'm getting better at letting them play it out the little ones are actually getting a little more aggressive, and not backing down as much, so I think the little ones are realizing they are in no actual danger. it's definitely a process that requires patience. good luck!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you want to defuse the situation a little without doing a full-on intervention, just be ready with the treats or a favorite toy to distract the adult cat. That should hopefully brake the tension

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
does LK like to chase the laser pointer? I have found that this is a good way to get cats to play together, but if they do not like to get too close you can choose which path they take, and it tires them out pretty good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh...Ruby is so pesky! It’s just endless pouncing and bouncing. She’s a total wild woman. And I tried so hard to pick the calmest, quietest kitty in the litter :sigh:

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
how old is she? now that my kittens are six months, and are out with the others quite a bit, their pounding and such has calmed down quite a bit, after a couple months.